FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 17th, 2017, 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: O/T bird hunting prep
PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 3:24 pm 
FFIMer

I know there's a lot of people here who hunt upland, waterfowl, or both... I'm curious to know what you guys do for prep in the preseason. This upcoming season will be my third year waterfowling, and I need to do better getting my ducks in a row, pun most certainly intended. I have been doing some scouting while bass fishing, and I know I should be practicing my calling. I definitely need to break some clays as I have not touched my shotgun since February, not to mention missing too many birds in the past. Anyone interested in getting together for some skeet shooting?

Peter

PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 6:34 pm 
FFIM Addict

I shot (or shot at) 50 chukar and a handful of pheasants last weekend while assisting with bird dog training efforts. Nothing too serious, but it does get the arms moving and works on those reflex movements. One of the perks of having a girlfriend and friends who are into bird dogs.

Resident goose season opens in a few weeks, and I'll be hitting that up while scouting moose for my father. That's more of a spot and stock hunt than upland or ducks though. A lot of fun when you spot a lone head from a few hundred yards out and work your way into position for a close shot with a pump shotgun.

It's time to check the rigging on the decoys and order replacement parts for any missing anchors, rigging, etc..

And if time allows- I'm game for breaking a few clay pigeons.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 7:04 am 
FFIMer

Other than scouting and keeping myself and my dog properly conditioned, I don't do anything more for prep. I used to shoot some clays, but I've been at this for so long now (30+ years upland with last 15+ years with dogs and 15+ years waterfowl) I just grab the gear & guns, go and hit it hard. Any gear repairs (both waterfowl and upland) were addressed at the end of last season.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 8:59 am 
FFIMer

Shoot clays at the CVOA trap range. Five Stand coming soon, which is way more challenging.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 11:27 am 
FFIMer

Just wondering, if people, fishing in the north this summer, have seen many broods of partridge. Partridge numbers, last year, where we usually hunt, (Allagash area), were really disappointing...hope their population will be better this year. We have seen quite a few broods of partridge this summer "Down East," on the borders of Aroostook and Washington Counties; unfortunately, every time we have seen broods of chicks on our dirt camp road, we have also seen hawks hovering near them.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 12:30 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter, that's quite a warm up. The state stocks some pheasant only a few miles from my house and I try for them a few times a year but it's a long shot with no dog. Like anything else stocked the closer you hunt to the release date the more you see. I'm always game to smash some clays... I'll be in touch. I don't plan on doing early goose, usually to busy chasing stripers and trout.
I need to find a plce that has trap or skeet, I really enjoy it and I used to fairly good at it but it's been years since I've done it. Steve, where is CVOA? There's a skeet club in Auburn but every time I drive by the place looks like it's been abandoned for years.
I don't have much gear to get organized, all my decoys are rigged and separated in their bags, the square stern and outboard has been used regularly since April, I just need to pack my blind bag with shells, calls, gloves, etc.

Peter

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 3:17 pm 
FFIMer

Peter010786 wrote:
Steve, where is CVOA?

Carrabassett Valley, a couple miles north of Sugarloaf. http://carrabassettvalleyoutdoorassociation.com/range/

PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 1:25 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks, that was my guess. A little far from Brunswick but might be worth a day trip with a group sometime.

Peter

PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 3:01 pm 
FFIMer

Peter010786 wrote:
Thanks, that was my guess. A little far from Brunswick but might be worth a day trip with a group sometime.

Peter

They have a regular shoot every Sunday morning 9-noon which is very fun and relaxed. Great mix of people, beginners to sharpies. My wife and I participate every weekend when we are up, which is at least one a month. You do have to be a member or the guest of an attending member to shoot.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2017, 7:52 am 
FFIM Addict

I've been training for Grouse season pretty intensely. Typically practice how fast I can load a cooler, wedge it behind the front seat and then condition myself to drive very very slowly cradling a 99.00 20 gauge between my legs. I usually set up my empties on the shoulder and practice shooting them without putting the truck in park.

Just kidding. I'm pretty good at it so I don't practice. :D

PostPosted: August 11th, 2017, 8:04 am 
FFIMer

Formerly Larvae wrote:
I've been training for Grouse season pretty intensely. Typically practice how fast I can load a cooler, wedge it behind the front seat and then condition myself to drive very very slowly cradling a 99.00 20 gauge between my legs. I usually set up my empties on the shoulder and practice shooting them without putting the truck in park.

Just kidding. I'm pretty good at it so I don't practice. :D

:lol: