FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 20th, 2017, 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stupid Question
PostPosted: August 6th, 2017, 11:49 am 
FFIMer

I'm sure this has been asked before...
After coming across these containers for years now.. :!:
Picking them up for years now..
why are the dealers not using at least cardboard containers.. :?:

Attachments:
P7220040.JPG
P7220040.JPG [ 127.67 KiB | Viewed 664 times ]

Post subject: Re: Stupid Question
PostPosted: August 6th, 2017, 8:20 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Good question. Maybe there should be a bill introduced to either mandate cardboard/compostable material or a $.10 deposit on the plastic versions.

Ken

PostPosted: August 6th, 2017, 9:59 pm 
FFIMer

i'll second the deposit. there are worm containers all over the banks of the kennebec in madison.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 8:00 am 
FFIMer

See 'em everywhere. I think the cardboard would be a great solution. Anti styrofoam legislation is already being enacted.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 5:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

Even better would be containers made from peat or at least a bio-degradable paper.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 6:21 pm 
FFIM-aholic

See them all too often on FFO waters.
Styrofoam containers should be banned.
I like the peat idea! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 6:42 am 
FFIM Addict

Shelf life prior to sale is an issue for worms. Unless stores are going to fresh pack that dozen crawlers for you, I don't think peat or paper containers would work out too well.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 7:29 am 
FFIM-aholic

How about combining 2 of our favorite past times; beer and fishing? Plenty of brewing going on around here and would think this might work?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sal ... 86171c5fe4

PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 8:03 am 
FFIMer

While on this subject; we need a dollar deposit on bud light cans! They have to be the most littered item on the planet! Whats wrong with those people?

PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 9:37 am 
FFIMer

Lane S wrote:
While on this subject; we need a dollar deposit on bud light cans! They have to be the most littered item on the planet! Whats wrong with those people?

I do a lot of bird hunting and I wish I had a dollar for everyone I see thrown into the ditches or woods. It amazes me that I have no idea what goes through their minds when the throw these out... A total disrespect for private property, the privilege they have for access and disregard how their actions affect others by limiting access. Not to mention drinking and driving.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 11:55 am 
FFIM-aholic

Lane S wrote:

Twisted Tea a close second. As another indication of "what's wrong with these people?" - the dumb bahstids actually drink the contents BEFORE tossing them out; there's a serious problem.......

PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 12:06 pm 
FFIMer

Salmosebago wrote:
Lane S wrote:

Twisted Tea a close second. As another indication of "what's wrong with these people?" - they dumb bahstids actually drink the contents before tossing them out; there's a serious problem.......

Mullet Juice. I have another term, but it's not suitable for here.
By the way, listen to yourself. You gifted a Bud light lime-a-rita at the Christmas party last year.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 12:13 pm 
FFIMer

I don't think you will see disposable containers for worms for reasons like Hunter said. However a very high deposit could be an aid, but I think you have to go further because as noted by others it isn't just worm containers that are a problem, beer cans and cigarette butts and the empty packs are everywhere too. Also some people are just plain inconsiderate slobs and the only thing that will stop them is penalties and getting caught. So jack up the penalties and enforce them if you want to stop the problem, not that we ourselves can do that. But if you know the problem is occurring in a regular spot alert the warden service, they can use game cameras to aid in catching people. If they don't do anything though I would consider putting a camera up yourself and then sharing the dopes images with the wardens and the public via social media. Put one camera at the parking area and one at the typical trash location. This way with time stamps you can tie the individuals to the vehicle and plate if you get your cameras in good locations.

It is dubs that leave that kind of stuff behind that will cry and moan when good fishing areas get posted.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 2:21 pm 
FFIM-aholic

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Salmosebago wrote:
Lane S wrote:

Twisted Tea a close second. As another indication of "what's wrong with these people?" - they dumb bahstids actually drink the contents before tossing them out; there's a serious problem.......

Mullet Juice. I have another term, but it's not suitable for here.
By the way, listen to yourself. You gifted a Bud light lime-a-rita at the Christmas party last year.

I didn't gift it, I regifted it....... Not for nuthin, it wasn't that long ago you turned your nose up when it came to $15 4 packs. Now look at YOU - a 12 oz can feels like a shot glass, doesn't it big fella?!?!? :lol:

PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 8:03 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

So let's quit talking...who's going to draft a letter to their Maine state rep and put the deposit thing into action? Not perfect by any means but ti's a start.

Ken