FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 21st, 2017, 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stupid Question
PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 9:25 pm 
FFIMer

Devil's advocate here. Deposit implies return. A nickel deposit on cans and bottles are redeemable anywhere that five cent deposit has been paid right? There is only one place you can return a plastic container labeled specifically by a bait shop or Mom and Pop store, to the same store you bought it. Now, that being said, I think it's highly unlikely that anyone would return a plastic worm containers for a nickel, dime,quarter or whatever nominal fee. Especially when in all likelihood it was a singular purchase on the way to fish somewhere likely a significant distance from the place of purchase.
The other end of this is if you set a deposit fee on plastic bait containers, your likely to start finding a lot more Hills Brothers cans streamside. I'm not arguing against trying to do something to address the issue, merely saying look before you leap.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 9:17 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

There's action and there's inaction. Action is making a call to your local rep(s) and let them know your point of view and discussing what could be done. Inaction is bitching about it on internet forums.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 9:25 am 
FFIMer

Ken B wrote:
There's action and there's inaction. Action is making a call to your local rep(s) and let them know your point of view and discussing what could be done. Inaction is bitching about it on internet forums.

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm just saying that it's hard to legislate some things. Whether it's worm containers,beer cans, or pizza boxes. Slobs are always going to litter. These same internet forums would be in an uproar if it was suggested that there be a deposit or tax on fly hooks and tippet to address the amount of those materials that get lost on bottom or clipped off and tossed in the stream.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 4:45 pm 
FFIMer

Quote:
Inaction is bitching about it on internet forums
:lol:

Didn't want to open up a big ol' can a worms, we all know even a deposit will not matter anyway

Just thought a different material for worm containers would be a great idea , but will continue to pick them up along with all the other stuff on the banks. And my hat goes off to any body else that takes the time to do the same while out enjoying the rivers and streams.

Attachments:
PB050069.JPG
PB050069.JPG [ 147.72 KiB | Viewed 120 times ]

PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 6:49 am 
FFIMer

Same applies to spent shotgun shells during bird/waterfowl season. Seriously, how hard is it to spend just a few seconds looking for your ejected shell? I pick up all that I find. Two seasons ago, I filled nearly two Hannaford bags full.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 5:04 pm 
FFIMer

Kfly, I while ago I had an urge to raise worms, we wanted to get paper containers that do what you want, you can and they(worm companies) can. We went on the approach to involve johnnies seed for a bull **** mix of easy to grow seeds, we wated the containers to be trashed as you see streamside, 6o days later a pot of flowers in a broken down paper box. It would work, they(companies) have to do it