FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 19th, 2017, 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 5th, 2017, 1:45 pm 
FFIM Addict

So, about 20 years ago, I read (and own) A.K. Best's book on tying with quills- good book. As any other tying book, Best gives some of his small hints about production tying- one of which was always keep your scissors on your hand. Good idea, and I instituted this into my tying and now it has long since become second nature. But-- he also mentioned that when one has scissors that no longer can cut the small threads, it is probably because of spreading, not dullness. Okay- also true....but Best finished with what to do with the old scissors- and he suggested putting them on your vest to use on the river- I did.

Twenty years ago I put a scissors on the vest, and out west this year, they gave up the ghost and fell apart. Only lasted 20 years.

Now, that led me to naggle along in my mind about duration of products I use.....the scissors- 20 years.The set of forceps I have had are even older than the scissors- and I have not lost them! What are the chances of not having lost a tool that is the 3rd most FOUND item on rivers and streams across America? This year ALONE- we have found 3 forceps on GLS...and over the years, my peers and I have found ...what...2 dozen? I still have mine- from almost before I started fishing.

I have the same dry shake bottle- it is so old, that it no longer has writing on the outside...I just refill it year after year. I own and still use my FIRST reel...it is NOT a fine piece of tooling- but it has history. My sunglasses are 19 years old- and are on the sidelines as my prescription is WAY out for them....so I had a new set made last fall. SWEET!

I dropped them on Memorial day behind my truck, and ran them over---and the bench warming glasses were on the plane w/ me to Montana! They still "worked"!

My net was a gift from friends in 2005...still works, though it does have many zip ties holding it together. 12 years old....and nets are the #2 things found on the river. (I'd bet)

But...and sadly...my vest. Not the first vest, but probably the second (when I knew better)...ripped out when on my trip this year. The zippers were blown, and the small pockets were rotted out with age---the wife had sewn it up over and over. I love that vest- it has serious history- and yes, I do wash my vest every few months in the summer, and have found it has NO effect on karma with fishes...but time is not a friend of cotton cloth...and I bought a new vest yesterday. (By the way- GOOD LUCK with that! Few options out there for the traditionalist Vest people-SIMMS by lack of competition wins out).

Just switched all things over--- and tried the new kid out-- fits fine. But I really felt bad putting that memory filled vest on the hook down stairs...right beside the FIRST vest I ever owned! God...has it been that long?

I like old stuff...and if one is lucky-as I have been--- all new stuff becomes old stuff in a surprisingly short time.

Hutch

PostPosted: August 5th, 2017, 6:45 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Agree on the scissor trick when tilting. Saves time and is a total habit now. Although... they must be SHORT scissors.

I have lost so many forcepts that I stop carrying them. I have one pair that I keep with the kids gear that help on deep hooked pan fish.

I never had a vest.... only packs, and I have rekindled with my first flame in a bought of "minimalist idealism". We'll see how long the flame flickers.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 5th, 2017, 7:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

I guess my steam of thought will move along...As to the vest.

I was later to fishing than most of you, about 23-24...and once I was hooked, I made a wrong buy for my first rod, and a poor choice in my first vest. The vest was a short "wade" vest with few pockets...it worked for about 5 years. Then I decided to upgrade.

And I upgraded....and upgraded. and chest packed, and Orvis chest packed...and Beans Chest packed...and fanny packed...and I hated them all. I STILL hate a chest pack- as my hands strike the pack in casting over and over. I tried (borrowed) a Beans technical vest with belt- hated it. Fish Pond? Nope---

And then I bought a vest that stuck. It was a Beans vest....which they do not make anymore- long since.

So...when need came- I looked for the same Beans again- I had hoped they still made a version of this vest---and in name, they do. But in reality, they do not. The current version is NYLON...and poorly made. They are pushing packs- and I am not interested.

Which led to google...and about all I could find said SIMMS. But ---oh my GOD---SImms is NOT cheap-and not on sale anywhere.

It seems they do make good stuff...I hope. I will know in about 20 years.

Hutch

PostPosted: August 5th, 2017, 9:22 pm 
FFIMer

Great read Hutch. I tie scissors in hand, TGIF ditto on short ones. In line with the theme here, my favorite Anvil ice started to dull(or spread) after about eight years or so, (thread and soft material cutting only) so I bought another identical pair. Or so I thought. Blades wider and "retooled" read: likely sourced to another manufacturer for cheaper. Not as good as the others.

Hutch, I think I may have an old Bean's vest like the one you pine for, if you want it,and it fits, it's yours. Completely agree with the big modern vests reaching out and grabbing reel and wrist. Much the same way those wrist straps on wading jackets grab fly line. Of all the development experts at all the major fishing companies, none have figured out how to move them to the outboard side of the wrist. Same guys who engineered the headlights on my last GMC. What used to be a counterclockwise twist now required removal of the bumper to change a bulb. It was worth trading in for that reason alone.
After all these years I settled on a waist pack a few years ago. I'm thinking eventually I'll get down to a film canister and a pair of nippers.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2017, 11:25 pm 
FFIMer

I don't often tie with scissors on my hand, but sometimes I happen to notice that I am wearing them as I tie, and as soon as I realize it I put them on the desk. And I do need to purchase a new pair as they have spread out quite a bit, they are 5 years old. I tie with a lot of deer hair which I believe is the largest contributer to scissor gap. I do have my original pair of forceps, that are close to 10 years old, I have found 1 pair of forceps on the river, and gave them to a friend who was fishing with me and lost his a few days earlier... on a different river. They were my second fly fishing purchase after an extremely cheap rod and reel combo, and I'm pretty sure I still have the reel but it's all plastic so I'm not about to use it now a days. I also started FFing in my early to mid 20s, my dad did not fly fish but had an old rod. I simply started FFing because I wanted to catch trout, and I've gone crazy with it...

Peter

PostPosted: August 6th, 2017, 11:27 am 
FFIM Addict

I still use a pair of Dr. Slick mitten forcepts that I found on Grayling Creek outside of West Yellowstone in either 2010 or 2011......I'm not certain of which year.

Simms products are expensive, no doubt of that. They do last, and the Simms warranty is equal to Beans as the best in the business.

I am surprised about your Korkers boots. I have two pair......one from last year that looks almost new, and a six year old pair that I don't use anymore because I abhor those #}^%#*^ Boa laces, but otherwise are in fine shape. I love the interchangeable soles on Korkers.....I wish Simms would go that route.

Dave M

PostPosted: August 6th, 2017, 10:24 pm 
FFIMer

the scissors in hand trick is great. I think I also read about that in a book by Kaufmann about speed tying. When i feel like cranking out numbers of flies I will precut two dozen of everything like he suggests as well. I have had 2 vests since I was 14, I am now 45 and the second one I have now is at least 25years old. Stained, stinks,flies snagged all through it, rips, but I have shared a lot of great memories with that vest.