FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 17th, 2017, 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oh crap...
PostPosted: August 5th, 2017, 12:21 pm 
FFIMer

I have a tying room/hideout at home. The lady of the house has the domain over every other room in the house,color,decor you name it. Fair trade. Anyway, sitting at my tying desk just now balancing the checkbook and paying bills, I noticed an almost microscopic bug crawling across the base of my vise among the hooks. Moving a pile of dubbing out of the way, there lay a dead moth, access courtesy of the air conditioner. Anyway, panic has set in. All of my materials are in the original packaging either in plastic containers in the desk drawers or in the four sterelite stackable drawers next to the desk. I can't stand mothballs, especially in a small room like this. Any non toxic suggestions to deal with this? Freezing the materials would not go over well...

Post subject: Re: Oh crap...
PostPosted: August 5th, 2017, 1:02 pm 
FFIM Addict

I know you don't like mothballs.....but after the bugs are already there cedar doesn't help that much. Hold your nose and mothball all materials. That may be the only way you save them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :-(

Dave M

PostPosted: August 5th, 2017, 1:21 pm 
FFIMer

The moth that eats your feathers is the closet moth: Tineola bisselliella There are a number of moth trap remedies sold, but be sure you get the ones for closet rather than pantry moths. You can put out a trap in your personal space and see if you actually have an infestation. I have found that the item most attractive to moths is peacock herl so that is the feather I would check out first.
Having said all that, there is nothing better than good old moth balls (Napthalene). There are some moth ball products which claim to have a reduced odor, but I have no experience with those. I have had only one moth attack in the many years which I think is because I keep all feathers/hair/wool items in sealed plastic containers. I also bought some Cedar pieces at Home Depot a long time ago and keep a block in each bin. On occasion, I "refresh" the wood with some cedar oil that I bought on line.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2017, 1:41 pm 
FFIMer

I may be premature, but I'd rather not have to deal with it later. Almost all of my materials are in Ziploc style bags,but I'd rather be ahead of it. I'm a neat freak so my tying area is cleaned regularly. The upside of not tying a lot of dries is that I don't have a lot at stake in the hackle department outside of 100 packs. Plenty of skins though, don't want to lose those.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 6:49 am 
FFIM Addict

Oily skins (duck, etc..) and bucktail are the items you'll likely want to keep an eye on. There are some tricks (freezing, microwaving) to decon materials. Good luck.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 3:16 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:
Oily skins (duck, etc..) and bucktail are the items you'll likely want to keep an eye on. There are some tricks (freezing, microwaving) to decon materials. Good luck.

Mmmm, microwaved bucktails... that's a smell I hope I never catch a whiff of. I've been lucky and never had a bug problem, I'm pretty diligent keeping all my stuff sealed in totes. With 3 cats and a dog at home they are pretty quick to remind me when I forget to. I've found a few chewed up bucktails and deer hair patches around the house over the years. Every time I open the bucktail tote a subtle rancid smell seeps out... especially in the warmer months. I should throw a mothballs or two in there to cut that down, but I don't knwo which smell is worse.

Peter