FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 16th, 2017, 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 1:37 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Just wondering how well people know their rods and vises just by appearance? Could you tell a Sage vs a St Croix vs Orvis, etc...without looking seeing a logo or mark? Does rod/vise manufacturers have signature features that make them stand out. If Dave M. was fishing 20 yards upstream from you with one of his 15 5 wt rods could you tell what it was?

Ken

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 1:59 pm 
FFIM Addict

Yes Ken. Most rod manufacturers are pretty distinct in their graphics. They really need to have their rods stand out from the crowd. In the early days of graphite almost all rods were black......then in the early 80's Sage went to brown rods, and Winston went to green rods, Scott always had those distinct unsanded ridges on theirs.....T&T had distinct lettering, etc.

Vises are even more distinctive. Anybody fortunate enough to have ever seen.....much less owned.....will never forget Laurence Waldrens LAW vise.

The Abel vise, various Andy Renzetti vises, Ron Abby's Dyna King vises, and, of course, Regals are all pretty distinctive.....as are Maine's own HMH vises. Griffins are pretty distinctive, too.

Dave M

Last edited by Dave M on August 3rd, 2017, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 2:28 pm 
FFIM Addict

I would think we could spot the obvious big brand rods and vices. Rods mostly by blank color and vices by features. How about reels?? The older ones probably easier than the more current models which are beginning to look alike.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 5:40 pm 
FFIMer

Ken B wrote:
If Dave M. was fishing 20 yards upstream from you with one of his 15 5 wt rods could you tell what it was?

Ken

I bet I could tell if he was fishing with that bound up Abel reel.....

Seriously though, Rods, Not by brand because I really don't care. Glass/bamboo vs. graphite easily identifiable when being fished.
I can tell vises, pretty distinct differences.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 7:51 pm 
FFIMer

Nope, not at all with rods and reels, with vises I bet I could do pretty well. All of my rods are LLBEAN, I had a St. Croix until it shattered 5 weeks ago. I do pretty well noticing when other people have the same rod as I do, but I have never touched a Scott, Sage, Orvis, T&T, Reddington, Winston, etc so they all look the same to me. Same with reels.

Peter

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 7:57 pm 
FFIM Addict

A few years ago a gentleman from probably 60'-70' recognized I was fishing one of my Orvis cane rods. I was rather impressed. Then I noticed he had one in his hands also.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: August 4th, 2017, 12:53 pm 
FFIMer

yes on rods, vices, and reels.

Another way to tell on rods is by the reel seat.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2017, 1:53 pm 
FFIM Addict

Rods less so, but vises and vices are usually pretty easy to spot.