FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nymph Box
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 12:42 pm 
FFIM Addict

All.......

I've been looking over my dedicated Nymph Box......a mid sized C&F Designs with slots for give/take 300 flies.

I'm not going to actually sit here and count; but I must have at the very least two dozen different patterns in there. Great....right? Almost all nymphal forms are covered......for just about any hatch sub- surface that might occur. Just one problem.......I almost invariably use either a PT or a Copper John......usually in tandem with each other.

My goal this winter is to bring order out of chaos. I'm going to reserve the entire lower half of that box for nothing but PT's......from #12's to 22's.

Half of the top 150 slots will be nothing but Copper Johns in the same sizes. I might keep a couple or three individual flies from the patterns I carry now.......but do I REALLY need two dozen #8 Kaufman Stone nymphs when I almost always just use them for weight??

It will take probably a couple of weeks to tie up all the different sizes, but I think it will bring order from the chaos I now have.

All my Midges are in a separate Midge box that takes up very little room in the vest......so I can leave that box alone.

Before I started tying my own flies I carried ALL my different styles of flies in one box. My how times have changed.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Nymph Box
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 5:03 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Make sure to take a few before and after pics.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 8:05 pm 
FFIMer

I have tried, and failed, several times to organize and consolidate my boxes to carry less with me. I just can't leave stuff behind. I enjoy tying and when I see a pattern I like I often tie at least a half dozen. This leads to overstuffed boxes and flies that never get used. Space is at a premium in all of my 13ish... not including 4 salt water... boxes, every slot has a fly, every compartment is jammed, ever extra square inch of foam has a fly jammed in it. I bet I have 500 flies that have never touched water, but I still carry them all the time. When I'm really fishing hard, full day trip, hike in, Rangeley Region, I bet I only use 3 nymphs(pt, Micro Madison Midge, stonefly), 2 streamers(soft hackle streamer, black ghost), and maybe 2 or 3 dries(ESP, sparkle dun, cdc loopwing), I could go with 4 dozen and be fine. But those times where things are not going my way I change flies every 10 minutes until something works.

Peter

PostPosted: August 4th, 2017, 6:25 pm 
FFIMer

I'm like you guys...I can't not have pretty damn near every fly I've tied. We are textbook cases of hoarders - we should call the show! :lol: