FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 16th, 2017, 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2017, 4:42 pm 
FFIMer

Apparently there is a move afoot in NH to alter regulations on portions of both the Androscoggin and Magalloway rivers to allow bait fishing. I am incredibly frustrated that NHFG would even consider risking one of the premiere brook trout fisheries in the Northeast. Even if you only fish in Maine, this rule change has the potential to impact the fishery you love. Biologists in both Maine and NH have done years of radio tracking and shown that brook trout frequently move across state lines. Risking increased mortality from bait fishing seems unwise--but that is apparently the quiet proposal that is circulating.

A meeting is scheduled on August 17 at 7pm in the Errol NH town hall.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/news....html?news=730

The meeting announcement is quite vague--but is reportedly the first step in expanding bait fishing. If you can attend and voice your opinion it is certain to be helpful. Having watched these types of rulemakings progress in the past, this will be as much about politics and who shouts loudest as being about what is sound management based on data.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2017, 9:26 pm 

My understanding is that the proposal--which I have not seen yet--is a response to a petition from people who want to use worms to fish for bullheads in the NH section of the Magalloway. Of course nothing prevents the same rules from being used by people fishing for trout, and very large proportion of trout from the Magalloway River (from Maine) and the Diamond River (from NH) swim down through that section in the fall to winter in Umbagog Lake, and back upstream in the spring.

Definitely one to watch.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 2:50 am 
FFIM-aholic

The link doesn't seem to be working... i'm out of state these days, but still have an NH address.... if you identify a key contact name, please let me know and i'll send in my thoughts.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 6:33 am 
FFIMer

These are the folk listed as contacts for this issue:

Jason Smith: (603) 271-2501
Becky Johnson: (603) 271-3211

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 8:51 am 

I left a message for Mr. Smith on Tuesday with both my work and cell numbers and have heard nothing back.

I'll be there on the 17th, and hope we see whatever the proposal is before then.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 11:13 am 
FFIM-aholic

Seeing the fish that come out of the NH side of that river where spin fishing is allowed, should make everyone VERY nervous about this... a local proprietor near the border isn't shy with sharing his pics... or a fillet. why in the world the same migrating fish can be so differently managed is bizarre to me.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 11:57 am 

If anyone is sharing fillets, they should be reported to a NH warden.

Since the rules were fixed after the screw-up a year or so ago, the NH regs are pretty similar to Maine's--ALO, single barbless hooks, C+R on trout. I believe all of the Maine section is the same, with FFO instead of ALO.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 12:26 pm 
FFIM-aholic

:roll:

They must have been hooked deeply... at least that wont happen with a worm.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 12:27 pm 
FFIM-aholic

PS - This is 2-3 year old experience, since I last stayed there.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 5:34 pm 
FFIMer

I spoke with Jason Smith via telephone today. I was one if half dozen this morning. Just to let folks here know, it might be beneficial to hold the barrage of emails and phone calls until after we see what comes of the meeting on the 17th.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 9:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
I spoke with Jason Smith via telephone today. I was one if half dozen this morning. Just to let folks here know, it might be beneficial to hold the barrage of emails and phone calls until after we see what comes of the meeting on the 17th.

I disagree. Let them here your thoughts so that it's clear this shouldn't even be a discussion.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 10:04 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:
RoundaboutCaddis wrote:

I disagree. Let them here your thoughts so that it's clear this shouldn't even be a discussion.

Well, call him and hear it for yourself. I would suspect that a flood of emails will be met with a generic response. I'm not saying sit on your hands, but bear in mind NH Fish and Game works for the taxpayers of New Hampshire. As much as I may disagree with the discussion, and fully understand the potential impacts and much as this may make me unpopular on this site, this is a discussion held by the state of New Hampshire.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 10:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Hunter wrote:
RoundaboutCaddis wrote:

Well, call him and hear it for yourself. I'm not saying sit on your hands, but bear in mind NH Fish and Game works for the taxpayers of New Hampshire. As much as I may disagree with the discussion, and fully understand the potential impacts and much as this may make me unpopular on this site, I think I have an obligation to be moderate at this point.

I here you. Perhaps a call to Chandler would be more appropriate, since we seem to be in a refs simplification push to mimic our neighbors.

Ps- while we're at it- please ask Chandler how DIFW will be funding g operation an maintenance of dams they take over. I have issue if my license dollars are supposed to support such (ala the East Grand debacle, among others).

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 10:30 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:

I here you. Perhaps a call to Chandler would be more appropriate, since we seem to be in a refs simplification push to mimic our neighbors.

Ps- while we're at it- please ask Chandler how DIFW will be funding g operation an maintenance of dams they take over. I have issue if my license dollars are supposed to support such (ala the East Grand debacle, among others).

Bingo.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2017, 1:56 am 
FFIMer

Not a lot of folks want to admit this, but we sound like a bunch of hippocrates to NH fisheries and fishermen. Maine has it's little loophole to allow bait fishing and catch/keep a limit of the same brook trout, that falls under general law, in an area where both the Magalloway and Dead Diamond trout frequent and congregate in numbers; at times ,before the time of year when the regs change in that location. I think Maine anglers and IF&W need to tight things up on their end before NH will take us seriously. Were telling them do as I say not as I do(or is allowed). Like some have mentioned, its hard to believe that the same fish are so greatly protected everywhere else, why shouldn't it apply there?..exactly! but we need to do it as well, every where these fish reside in Maine borders, not just yell and scream at NH. Give the Nh folk someones phone number and email so they can haggle in Maine about our own location to catch those fish with bait and keep them if some chooses to do so.