FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 6:55 am 
FFIMer

Here is a link to the study referenced in this thread.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/report ... ktrout.htm

I don't know why it isn't appearing as a link but t copy and paste it should work.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 7:43 am 

Braggs Bay, thanks for the link. That's the abstract of the study. There is a more detailed report that does not appear to be available online, but I'm happy to send a PDF to anyone who pms me.

I'm still trying to understand how this turned into a rant about fly fishing elitists. The existing NH regulations some of us would like to maintain are ALO, not FFO, and I have never heard anyone argue to change that. FWIW, the Androscoggin on both sides of the ME/NH border near Gilead/Bethel is also ALO. Changing to FFO certainly didn't come up at the meeting, and a number of people with concerns about changing the existing rules said they'd support rule changes that allow bait if they were designed to protect brook trout from harvest and hooking mortality. That would be hard to do, but not impossible, given the amount of information we have about trout movements and habitat use in the Magalloway. It won't satisfy the people at the meeting who made it clear their goal is to be able to target and harvest brook trout with bait.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 4:27 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff, the fish was around 16 inches, caught at the outlet of little kennebago pond. Tag was about 4 inches long and thin plastic looking with no words on it. I had my buddy snap a quick picture, I will see if I can dig it up, it should have a time stamp.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 7:41 pm 

C&R wrote:
Jeff, the fish was around 16 inches, caught at the outlet of little kennebago pond. Tag was about 4 inches long and thin plastic looking with no words on it. I had my buddy snap a quick picture, I will see if I can dig it up, it should have a time stamp.

Russ Danner, the state fish pathologist, had some kind of study running on Little Kennebago. He was stocking larger Kennebago strain brookies to see if they could break the cycle of some parasite the infects trout. As I recall, there was some controversy over stocking over wild trout, and the study didn't last long. Russ has since left DIFW and I've heard nothing about the study for years.

I can't remember how he marked his fish.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 8:24 pm 
FFIMer

This was likely one of the fish then. It was visibly parasite free and very thick, not built quite like most of the other fish. We got one native one that was 19+ inches but it weighed less than the tagged fish. If that is the fault of the parasite that is too bad. The only parasite in the kennebago ponds that I am aware of is the one with the small black spots. I was under the impression that those did not impact the health of the fish tho, am I wrong?

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 9:00 am 

As I recall, this was not related to the black spot--some kind of internal parasite. Don't remember the details.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 9:03 am 

Think this is the parasite:

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/health/vol4issue11.htm

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 9:38 am 
FFIM-aholic

Is this the same as the black dot issue? I thought i heard the black dot issue was harmless.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 9:42 am 
FFIM-aholic

never mind... read above.

This looks disgusting!

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 10:59 am 
FFIM Addict

I remember quite clearly that Forrest Bonney felt a major contributor to the parasite problem in Kennebago was "overpopulation", and the opening of the lake to harvest in October was one response to attempt to improve the situation. The last time I searched for the relevant articles I was unable to find any.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 9:38 am 
FFIM-aholic

There are plenty of general law streams in that area, in the whole north woods region, that accommodate bait fishermen. Not on the level of the Magalloway, sure, but why do you think that river exists on that level? (Banging me head against the proverbial wall here). All the best water has the highest protections, and vice versa, the highest protections are instituted for the best waters.
In my opinion, the rhetoric around elitism of fly fishermen is an excuse used hide the fact that some
People are too lazy, or too stubborn, or both, to pick up a cheap fly fishing outfit (for not more or
Less than conventional gear) and try a change in tactics. Kids can't fly fish? Absurd. Kids are as capable and in some cases even more capable than adults. And they learn much faster.
Want to catch bullhead on the Mag? Come up with a bullhead fly.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 7:16 am 
FFIMer

There has been a formal request for a rule change allowing the use of bait in this river. There will be a public comment hearing on Thursday November 30th in Lancaster.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 1:02 pm 
FFIM Addict

braggsbay wrote:
There has been a formal request for a rule change allowing the use of bait in this river. There will be a public comment hearing on Thursday November 30th in Lancaster.

It seems kind of late in the year for this, as it seems the 2018 rule books would have already gone to the printer for production. If that's the case- and the rule change is already in print, then the public comment hearing is not worth much (and if this is the case- I'd be asking questions higher up the food chain).

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 12:03 am 

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/newsroom/news.html?news=804

November 8, 2017

CONCORD, N.H. -- A public hearing on proposed rule changes affecting New Hampshire anglers will be held on Thursday, November 30, 2017, at 6:00 p.m. at the NH Fish and Game Department’s Region 1 office, 629B Main Street, Lancaster, NH 03584.

The majority of the proposal is standard rule readoptions for expiring rules. The Fish and Game Department is also proposing to subject a portion of the Magalloway River to new regulations that would allow alternative methods of take for certain species of fish from June 1 through Labor Day.

The complete rulemaking notice, with original and proposed rule language for this proposal, can be viewed at www.wildnh.com/legislative/proposed-rules.html (see "2017 Inland Fisheries Rules").

Written comments must be received by December 8, 2017. Send to: comments@wildlife.nh.gov (use the rule name in your subject line); write to Executive Director, N.H. Fish and Game Department, 11 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03301; or fax to (603) 271-5829

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 8:38 am 
FFIMer

Jeff, you beat me to it. Thank you