FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 19th, 2017, 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 9:46 am 

Courtney joined me yesterday to install some temperature monitors on a mid-coast stream. I chivalrously volunteered to wet wade while he fished with his dry shoes on the pavement at the culvert pool.

When I got downstream to our installation location, I saw what I was 100% certain was a temperature data logger glued to a rock in a deep pool under an overhanging tree. I decided to investigate, so I reached down about 18 inches under the surface into the shadows and started exploring with my fingers. Sure enough, there was about an 18" boulder, with a much smaller hard object attached to it with some sort of squishy, soft epoxy.

At that point I wanted a better look, and had stirred up some mud, so I waited for the water to clear so I could investigate further. I didn't want to put our logger on top of a site someone else was already monitoring.

When the water cleared, I went in for another exploration. Sure enough, that soft epoxy went all the way around the smaller hard object, and attached it VERY firmly to the boulder, despite the fact that it was really soft and squishy. Grabbing onto the logger with my fist, I couldn't budge it even a bit. This clouded up the water again, so I waited for it to clear for a final check.

This time I was more careful and didn't cloud up the water when I muckled onto the logger to explore. And by now my eyes were adjusting to the shady light. As I explored, I noticed that the there was a dime-sized dark spot on side of the logger, and then that there was a sort of diamond-shaped pattern on the boulder, and at that point a flash of insight invaded my dim reptilian brain and I realized that I had just spent five minute harrassing the "snapping" end of a large turtle which I was still holding by the mouth, with the eye staring out at me between thumb and index finger.

Courtney says I screamed "like a girl", but I swear it was more a roar of testosterone-spiked aggression. I kept all my fingers, we prodded the turtle out of the way, and got the logger installed without further incident.

You guys really ought to join us on these efforts. A jolt of adrenaline like that is rare when casting dry flies to rising trout and unheard of by you Euro-nymphers. :lol:

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 10:24 am 
FFIM-aholic

Now that is something have loved to see.... nice work on the checkers....

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 11:17 am 
FFIMer

There was nothing girly about that shriek. It was loud.Very loud. What Jeff left out after I caught the only Brook Trout of the day(ahem) as we continued working our way downstream I was at a very tracked up pool and heard what sounded like a dog crashing through the underbrush behind and upstream from me. Keep in mind this is VERY heavily vegetated,waist high growth.At first glance I thought it was a fox. As it came into view about ten feet from me I realized it was a raccoon.At this point I am thinking about the first round of rabies shots and wondering how effective a 6' 3 WT is at fending off wildlife. Fortunately the raccoon thought better. This is the had to be there moment. It looked at me
, heard Jeff's voice (weak from his earlier shrieking) looked at me again and spread eagle belly flopped into the stream and tore off down the opposite bank.
Even the wildlife go on a dead run to cut me off from a good pool....

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 12:27 pm 

The joys of exploring small, unknown streams. Killer raccoons and turtles, more deer and raccoon tracks than human, and wild brook trout mid-afternoon on the last day of July.

Courtney, we're not at the Donnybrook Pool anymore . . . . .

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 1:43 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff,
You must have found the most patient snapper known to man... everyone I've ever come across has snapped at the slightest glance. When I was out with Courtney doing the same thing on Saturday I was elbow deep under a boulder trying to find some colder then average water. I briefly thought about what could have been living under it, luckily it was nothing more then 62° water.

Peter

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 4:59 pm 
FFIM Addict

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
There was nothing girly about that shriek. It was loud.Very loud. What Jeff left out after I caught the only Brook Trout of the day(ahem) as we continued working our way downstream I was at a very tracked up pool and heard what sounded like a dog crashing through the underbrush behind and upstream from me. Keep in mind this is VERY heavily vegetated,waist high growth.At first glance I thought it was a fox. As it came into view about ten feet from me I realized it was a raccoon.At this point I am thinking about the first round of rabies shots and wondering how effective a 6' 3 WT is at fending off wildlife. Fortunately the raccoon thought better. This is the had to be there moment. It looked at me
, heard Jeff's voice (weak from his earlier shrieking) looked at me again and spread eagle belly flopped into the stream and tore off down the opposite bank.
Even the wildlife go on a dead run to cut me off from a good pool....

It sounds like Jeff has a pretty good predator call shriek. Don Lynch is going to want a tape of him for coyote hunting.