FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 24th, 2017, 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 2:39 pm 
FFIMer

Well for the first time this year I have had trouble seeing the eyes from small flies up close especially in lower light conditions. SO I am looking for some suggestions( other than fish size 2/0 for Smallies, which I do enough) about peoples experiences with hat magnifiers/ types/ etc. which ones have worked well or not. I typically get to cold water fish either REALLY early in the morning on weekends or last light for a couple of hours as kids and family absorb the rest so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2017, 6:32 am 
FFIMer

I use a product called Flip-Focal. I've tried others but like these the best. Some now use the magnifier glasses that come apart at the bridge of your nose. I can't comment on the glasses as I haven't tried them yet

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2017, 7:35 am 
FFIM Addict

Many answers to that question......but for my money Clicks are the best. They hang around your neck until you need them. I keep one pair on my tying light and one pair to tie flies out on the water. Can't beat them.

Dave M

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2017, 8:47 am 
FFIM-aholic

If you already wear glasses, Flip focal are the way to go
They come in different magnification levels, and best of all ..... you won't lose them as they pin to the his or of your cap. I've been using them for years with no problems.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2017, 10:41 am 

I've had trouble focusing with the flip focals on my hat. I have one hat where the brim appears to be the right length, but on any other hats things are out of focus unless I put my fingers about 4 inches in front of my hat brim.

I have better luck with standard magnifiers, and will be trying the clicks to have them handy instead of having to fish them out of a pocket.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2017, 12:09 pm 
FFIMer

let me recommend "Hat Eyes" I've been using these for years. The lens is extremely scratch resistant, they have a slide so you can adjust to any length you want, They also have an extra long clip for your hat. Very well made, professional quality. A little pricy at $28.95 but how many $14.00 pairs have you thrown away? Terry

PostPosted: August 6th, 2017, 10:06 pm 
FFIMer

thanks for all the suggestions. I dont wear glasses yet so I am going to take a look at several different types and probably go with a light/ magnifier combination of some sort. will probably look like I am wearing a fly tying station on my head but I love the dark fishing so not much of an option.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 1:16 pm 
FFIMer

I used to use flip magnifiers and a few years ago switched to bifocal sunglasses. I picked up a pair of the Smith Optics this AM for $59.99. If you're a regular STP shopper they offered 25% additional off today. They have 2.0 and 2.5 zoom options. I also have a pair of the Coyotes and had a pair of Guidelines in the past and both worked well for a bit less.

My feel was that managing the extra pair of glasses or magnifiers was a PITA.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~bi-focal/