FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 19th, 2017, 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS recommendations
PostPosted: July 29th, 2017, 11:20 pm 
FFIMer

My ancient Garmin handheld has been failing me lately and I'm in the market for a new one. I've done the online search bit, looking to come in under $200 so I'm limited. Any recommendations?

Post subject: Re: GPS recommendations
PostPosted: July 30th, 2017, 6:50 am 
FFIM-aholic

I'm a huge fan of the Delorme PN series handhelds. The maps/software are superior in my opinion. The downside is they've stopped making them (with the Garmin purchase of Delorme) and the small screen. It's like having the paper version of the gazateer in you palm. I'm hoping that Garmin begins to offer the Delorme mapping software (Topo USA) on their devices soon, as it would be nice to have their maps on some of the large screen Garmin devices.

Edited to add - I have no experience with other brands, so my experience is limited.

You can find some nice deals on eBay for the PN-40 and PN-60 series. Again, the downside is potential lack of product support.

I should call Garmin to inquire into this.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2017, 8:12 am 
FFIM Addict

If you can get find a Montana of any model, refurbed, etc in your price range I suspect you would be really happy. I love mine and use it 4 seasons.

If you are interested in a used but in the box Dakota 20 let me know. I have one on my workbench. It's sorta small, but color and touch screen and has all the mapping installed. I've used it for a bunch of years but upgraded a couple years ago.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2017, 11:25 am 
FFIMer

Formerly Larvae, PM sent.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 8:07 pm 

I love my PN 60, and loved the PN 40 I had before that until I drove away with it sitting on the roof of my truck, but a major advantage of the Delorme GPS units was that for $30 a year you could download unlimited data including USGS maps, aerial and satellite photos, and NOAA charts. Although I still have the GPS and software, Garmin has discontinued the data service. I think I am in the market for a Garmin--and I hate it, but there doesn't seem to be much competition for them now that they bought out Delorme. I'll probably stay cranky for a year or two before I buy just because I can hold a grudge, but I really need a working mapping GPS for both work and fun, and Garmin is the only game in town these days.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 10:53 pm 
FFIMer

Does Garmin have a snapping turtle icon?

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 8:43 am 
FFIM-aholic

Jeff Reardon wrote:
I love my PN 60, and loved the PN 40 I had before that until I drove away with it sitting on the roof of my truck, but a major advantage of the Delorme GPS units was that for $30 a year you could download unlimited data including USGS maps, aerial and satellite photos, and NOAA charts. Although I still have the GPS and software, Garmin has discontinued the data service. I think I am in the market for a Garmin--and I hate it, but there doesn't seem to be much competition for them now that they bought out Delorme. I'll probably stay cranky for a year or two before I buy just because I can hold a grudge, but I really need a working mapping GPS for both work and fun, and Garmin is the only game in town these days.

Jeff - I'm also holding out with my PN-60 for as long as possible simply due to the quality of the maps. I've left multiple voicemails with Garmin inquiring as to weather they'll be utilizing/incorporating the Delorme (former) mapping software into the Garmin devices. How great would that be on some of those large screen devices?

I've yet to hear back from anyone from Garmin.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 9:28 am 

InTheTrees wrote:
. . . . I've yet to hear back from anyone from Garmin.
[/quote]

Ditto. Last I heard from was that they were discontinuing access to the Delorme "Netlink" data I use all the time. I had a temper tantrum at that point and haven't called them since. :wink: I also need some accessories--my data download cable, which was always a weak link with Delorme products, has worn out. Replacements were cheap, but are no longer available. I think sometime this summer Netlink will go down--if it has not already. My last data download was back in June, when I loaded up an external hard drive with aerials, topo and NOAA charts for all of Maine.

I have friends who use some of the Garmin devices along with compatible software (Maptech is one that seems popular) to get similar function. The on-screen quality of the maps is actually better than Delorme, but the USGS and NOAA charts data is more expensive. I think there is a subscription service for satellite and aerial photo data, though in the age of Google Earth, there is a real market for someone to develop a software interface to easily import Google Earth and other online data to a handheld GPS. (Delorme had a software package that did this, but it was really expensive, and, as with all things Delorme in the Garmin era since headed for the trash heap.)

Another option is some of the smart phone apps. I use one that's $20 called Gaia GPS. It gives me instant access to aerial and USGS topo maps, but not NOAA charts. The downside is that it's a huge battery drain. Works great with the charger plugged in in the truck, but once I am in the field I drain my phone battery in a few hours, so it's not useful in the backcountry. With one of those external battery packs it might be more functional.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 3:34 pm 
FFIMer

I have a Garmin 12 hand held GPS. It is an older model, but works very well. I do not use it anymore and will sell cheap. If you are interested give me a PM.
http://www8.garmin.com/specs/gps12series.pdf

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 7:03 pm 
FFIM Addict

To those looking for GPS unit. I just offered my Delorme PN40 to be auctioned off here. Ken B. hopefully will be getting a link up for bids. I've asked that the funds be donated to the TU Trout Camp. So if anyone wants to get a unit that had very little use and help a good cause please be generous.
I switched to a Garmin so that when Foley and I headed wanderlust into Labrador everything could be easily shared.

Good luck,
Ron

Sir John Buchan