FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 17th, 2017, 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 4:34 pm 
FFIMer

Posting this for Beginners, and a reminder for the experienced. Please feel free to post long standing unwritten rules, courtesy and general good behavior on the river. Let's keep it to the should/should not and leave experiences and complaints to the general forum. Have at and help educate!

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 7:26 pm 
FFIMer

Here's a good start.

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/t ... etiquette/

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 8:34 pm 
FFIMer

When I run across someone that seems to horn in or crowd me , I either move or leave , even if the fishing is hot. Not the end of the world . I've run into many situations where the fella was just plain ignorant, didn't intentionally break our so called "unwritten " rules in the 50 years I've been drowning flies. I bit the bullet & adjusted accordingly.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 7:41 am 
FFIM-aholic

Here's my "unwritten rule" - I don't crowd strangers and don't expect them to crowd me. If I know you or we've struck up a conversation and seem to be getting along, we may fish right next to one another & share tips, share stories, alternate casts, etc.

Generally speaking, someone is "crowding" me if they're closer than a casting distance away (maybe a smudge more). On ponds and larger rivers, the distance is greater and on small rivers & streams, that distance is less.

I'm always respectful to other anglers (and people in general).

If I feel like someone's too close, I simply ask nicely that they move back. My subsequent reaction is entirely dependent on their reaction.

Not a fixed rule, but it's served me well.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 10:01 am 
FFIMer

Just because you had a lousy experience...everyone has to take a lesson??? :evil:

I guess size don't matter :mrgreen:

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Posting this for Beginners, and a reminder for the experienced. Please feel free to post long standing unwritten rules, courtesy and general good behavior on the river. Let's keep it to the should/should not and leave experiences and complaints to the general forum. Have at and help educate!

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 12:01 pm 
FFIMer

kimo wrote:
Just because you had a lousy experience...everyone has to take a lesson??? :evil:

I guess size don't matter :mrgreen:

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:

My only truly lousy fishing experiences involve running into you on the St G, Upper Dam, Superboo,shows etc... :lol:

PostPosted: July 28th, 2017, 6:34 pm 
FFIMer

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:

RaC - My apologies, but I felt that the link you provided gave some quality pointers and many on this board that may not be willing to go to the page to review the etiquette pointers. Thanks for reminding me of this site. Very good information.

==========================================

[Editor’s note: Reader Jeffrey Harris sent in the text below, along with this note: “Bill Cairns’ thoughts on stream etiquette bear repeating from time to time. Here’s my retyped version from my tattered copy he gave me 20 years ago. I hope you’ll share it with your readers and Orvis customers.” We wrote about Bill when he passed away last year. Thanks to Mr. Harris for this great reminder of Bill’s legacy. This is still good advice.]

It used to be that most new fishermen were gradually introduced to the sport of fly fishing by a family member or friend who had a fishing background, and various rules of behavior would be acquired over time and adhered to as a matter of course. Nowadays, we welcome many adult newcomers to the sport with no tradition to rely on for guidance so streamside misunderstanding can easily arise.
The rules of streamside behavior are few and easily observed. Mostly they revolve around common sense, courtesy, and consideration of others sharing the stream.

* A section of water belongs to the first fisherman fishing it. It is inconsiderate to crowd him and just how close an approach is permissible is an obvious variable.

* A slow-moving or stationary fisherman has every right to remain just where he is. If you are moving, leave the water and walk around him, being certain not to disturb his fishing or the water he might be working. In a similar vein, a fisherman may be resting a pool or planning his next move. It is still his water, and you should not jump in without his permission.

* A fisherman working in an upstream direction has the right of way over someone coming downstream. Wading upstream against the current forces you to move slowly, cover less water, and you are approaching the fish from behind. The fisherman working in a downstream direction covers more water, more quickly, and has the potential to disturb more water. For instance, careless wading could send silt or debris washing downstream to alarm fish that someone else is working over.

* Many streams flow through private property. Recognize that access is a privilege, not a right. Respect private property. If unsure about access, ask the landowner politely. On farm properties: don’t trample crops, disturb livestock, or leave gates open.

* Leave no litter at streamside. In fact, get in the habit of picking up discarded monofilament, cans and other trash, carrying them out to be discarded properly.

* Recognize that skilled anglers and/or heavy fishing pressure with excessively liberal limits can greatly reduce the available fish populations in any stream section unless voluntary restraint is practiced. A legal limit is not a quota. Let your fishing motto be: “Limit your kill; don’t kill your limit.” Orvis encourages the catch-and-release philosophy of angling, allowing fish to mature, reproduce, and live to challenge other anglers in the future.

* Multiple recreational use of streams is common. We may share the resource with tubes and canoes. It is the responsibility of the canoer to recognize that the angler has established a position before the canoe floated into view. The canoer should try to pass behind the angler. If space doesn’t permit this, the canoer should float by quietly and with minimum disturbance.

In summary, behave on stream towards other anglers as you would like them to behave towards you. . .and welcome to the world of fly fishing.

Bill Cairns is a legend in fly fishing. He was a fly fishing teacher, ambassador, historian, rod builder, fly tier, and one of the best casters ever. He founded the first fly fishing school in 1966 at the Orvis Company. The fly fishing world lost a true gentleman in 2013 when Bill was 81 years old.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2017, 8:15 pm 
FFIMer

I don't care how old you are, or how long you've fished...

Don't be a dink.

There will always be a few jerks. Just be a nice person and let the odd bad experience roll off your back.
I can say that I've actually been very happy with the vast majority of my steam side interactions that last few years.

It seems to me that just a brief friendly greeting can be disarming.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2017, 5:47 am 
FFIM-aholic

I just had the same discussion with a Danish guy, at a Swedish Airport, that was fishing in Norway. A band of 6 folks overtook him on a spot where he was having success and crowded him out. Our conclusion was pretty simple....

1. Say hello

2. Ask whether they are working up or down.

3. Ask if they mind if you join them.

4. The guy in the water always has the right of way.

International fly fishing diplomacy. Seems pretty simple.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 4th, 2017, 5:29 pm 
FFIM Addict

Puff, Puff, Pass

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 1:03 pm 
FFIMer

How about we don't expect anything from anybody? That way we are not disappointed when our expectations are not met.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2017, 1:06 pm 
FFIM-aholic

1weight wrote:
Puff, Puff, Pass

Nailed it! Don't F up the rotation.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2017, 9:53 pm 
FFIM Addict

I've got a few:

Remember that every piece of water has it's own etiquette set. That distance apart thing gets bigger as the water gets smaller and more remote.

If you are standing in the river and a boat is coming down, make it clear which way you are working -- if you cast into a run, the boat can see which way is behind you. If you don't, they can't tell which way is behind you.

When you are fishing small water without other folks and you see another fisherman, you should stop and chat, not just hopscotch. Things to ask, aside from how the fishing is going: Which way are you going? Which water have you fished already? How fast are you moving? What's a good landmark for me to jump back in the river? You work out a spot for you to get back in and leave the next couple hundred yards or more to the fisherman who was there first.

Number 1: Remember that you are truly blessed to be spending time standing in the river instead of working. Relax. That's why you're out.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2017, 10:44 pm 
FFIMer

pushaw wrote:
I've got a few:

Remember that every piece of water has it's own etiquette set. That distance apart thing gets bigger as the water gets smaller and more remote.

If you are standing in the river and a boat is coming down, make it clear which way you are working -- if you cast into a run, the boat can see which way is behind you. If you don't, they can't tell which way is behind you.

When you are fishing small water without other folks and you see another fisherman, you should stop and chat, not just hopscotch. Things to ask, aside from how the fishing is going: Which way are you going? Which water have you fished already? How fast are you moving? What's a good landmark for me to jump back in the river? You work out a spot for you to get back in and leave the next couple hundred yards or more to the fisherman who was there first.

Number 1: Remember that you are truly blessed to be spending time standing in the river instead of working. Relax. That's why you're out.

This right here sums it up.