FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dumb A$$ move
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 1:13 pm 
FFIM Addict

This morning after striking out on dries I was switched to a nymph rig. I coiled my dryfly leader and put it away. Uncoiled/untangled my nymph leader, rebuilt one section, chose, then re-chose my offering. I added an appropriate weight. I made just a short lob cast just to get things in order. I paused to make sure my split-shots were in their pocket and secured.
Hoping to be into some action I turned back to get set to do some nymphing. I raised my rod tip to get set to start and the rod seemed oddly light, thinking maybe a fish had picked up my offering and moved downstream towards me I raised my rod only to see that my line was devoid of my leader and nymphs. I hadn't attached the leader to the fly line.
With that blunder I decided it was time to hang things up for the day.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

Post subject: Re: Dumb A$$ move
PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 3:38 pm 
FFIMer

I can't tell you how many times I have driven over an hour to a spot and forgot to put a reel or a rod in the car....seriously...

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 4:22 pm 
FFIMer

Making that first cast and realizing that you missed a guide when stringing up is an equally embarrassing.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 7:00 pm 
FFIMer

1weight, this might make you feel better. I recently traveled to an undisclosed river waaaaay up in northern Maine. Spent a week packing all of the necessities. Loaded the fly boxes I planned to put to use into the waist pack. Double checked that all of the necessary items were in place. Brought it all next to the door the night before departure. Loaded the wader bag, rod tubes, gear bag, dufflebag with clothes, toiletries, etc. Crammed it all into the vehicle and set out for the 4+ hours drive. Pulling into the cabin after the long drive, I realized that I had everything... except the waist pack. :shock: :oops: :cry: So there I was with waders, boots, rods, reels, extra spools of tippet, and NO FLIES. :roll: Thankfully, my lady was gracious a provided me with a few of hers. Problem was, she didn't have imitations of what was on the water. BUT, I did... in my waist pack... sitting on the closet shelf, back at home. :lol:

HW

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 8:49 pm 

When we were dating, I took my wife on a "romantic" date. Sunset cruise in the boat to an island with a grill, charcoal, lobsters, corn, a cooler of beverages, a blanket, plates and silverware, cloth napkins, a pan to melt the butter . . . .and no matches.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 9:50 pm 

That's a good one...reminds me of the time(s) I've tossed the anchor overboard without it being attached to the boat - Doh!

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 5:13 am 
FFIMer

I've made the 1 1/2 hour trip only to find out I forgot my vest. With a deep breath I say....was a good morning for a ride!!!

PostPosted: August 5th, 2017, 5:42 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff Reardon wrote:
When we were dating, I took my wife on a "romantic" date. Sunset cruise in the boat to an island with a grill, charcoal, lobsters, corn, a cooler of beverages, a blanket, plates and silverware, cloth napkins, a pan to melt the butter . . . .and no matches.

I boated the family to an island in Machias Bay to dig clams and cook them. Got the fire all ready to light then found out,that I had no matches or lighter. Fortunately, there was still a clam digger on the island who willingly loaned me his lighter.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 8:47 pm 

Added a new one today. Took afternoon off to striper fish. Got the boat loaded up, out of the driveway at 3 pm, down to the launch at 4 pm, motored over to the rip I wanted to fish and went to rig up.
Rod, check.
Reel, check.
Leader, check.
Dinner, check.
Drinks, check.

Dang, where did I stick the pack with the fly boxes? Not in the boat. Headed back to the launch and not in the truck bed. Not in the inside of the truck either. (Though there was both a vest and a chest pack of freshwater flies, and with hindsight there were streamers one of those boxes that might have worked ok.)

I'd left the saltwater pack in the kitchen, where I put it last night after loading the snazzy new mackerel patterns I tied into one of my boxes.

Sure enough, while motoring around before I quit and got a clam roll instead of the PB+J I packed, I saw gulls and cormorants with mackerel in their beaks. I didn't see any fish, but wasn't expecting much until the tide started moving and we got close to dusk. I was halfway home by then.

On a positive note, the motor runs great with the new prop, and I backed down the trailer through the crowd at the clam shack without running over any little kid's toes.