FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 22nd, 2017, 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wow
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2017, 7:51 pm 
FFIMer

Gotta admire the skill of a guy who can run at a trot when he sees you from 150 yards away rigging up on the bank, passes behind you scrambling over rocks within arms reach without saying a word and cuts off the pool you are getting ready to fish. Certainly something to be proud of.

Post subject: Re: Wow
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2017, 9:12 pm 
FFIM Addict

That's what you get for fishing with Ken B.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2017, 9:29 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:

No, that's what you get when you don't get driftboat invites.... But seriously, I was more astounded than anything. I'll tell you the story over a beer. In the driftboat. Ten years ago I would have been really pissed. Unfortunately the older I get the more I think I've seen it all, I see some more. The sad thing is the lack of etiquette, common courtesy and lengths people will go to hook fish.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2017, 11:09 pm 
FFIM-aholic

That sounds indefensible, probably time to change the fishing trip into a swimming trip. Practice your cannonballs and can openers.
In the interest of being devil's advocate, however, what is the proper etiquette toward taking a pool when you've shown up at generally the same time as another angler? Someone's gotta make that first cast. How far did you drive? How long since you've fished? How long have you been daydreaming about that particular spot before you actually had opportunity to hit it? Lots of factors influence behavior.
Hustle has always paid off for me, in sports, in work, in life, so why shouldn't I hustle to get that spot (I have)? Someone has to be first.
In my hustle I definitely would have said hello on the way by, though.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 7:10 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hunter wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously?!? If you get to a pool, and there's already someone there rigging up, don't you at least have the courtesy to ask if they are heading into the pool or heading out?!? I've never fished a river that didn't have another hole to fish. I'm sure how had a few empties that you could have hurled at him..... :wink:

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 7:31 am 
FFIM-aholic

Could be worse; you could watch the culvert get hovered by some guy fishing a centerpin with powerbait.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 8:31 am 
FFIM-aholic

Salmosebago wrote:
I've never fished a river that didn't have another hole to fish. :

Correct. So why worry about the chump tripping over himself to gain "your" pool? Move on, up or down, and it's not an issue. Unless you really wanted that pool. In which case, you wait, or come back another day. Pool isn't going anywhere.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 9:00 am 
FFIMer

Nope. I looked at the pool earlier.Occupied. Moved on. Came back later and found no one around so I decided to fish it.
I'm leaving a couple of big details out, but the pool snatching was a calculated move as it was blatantly obvious I was getting ready to fish it and there was only room to approach it and fish it from where I was. I know most everyone on here had they watched it play out would agree.

Salmosebago, it was too early for empties.... And you are absolutely correct, there was plenty of river for him to fish.
I really need a Go Pro, not to make fishing videos, but to record this stuff.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 10:08 am 
FFIMer

I have to admit, I've been reading these posts about a lack of fishing ethics, or a lack of responsibility or a dismay about a perceived abuse to the resource and they are all accompanied with universal condemnation of the offender and a generalized wish that a person would do the right thing. But when it comes to a suggestion that it gets codified or addressed through a law, or regulation that idea gets shot down because, well that's just more government.

So that's the effect you get. People doing unethical, irresponsible or abusive things because there is no law/regulation that prevents people from being such.

If you want people to be responsible, you have to legislate it. Until then, enjoy fishing in the jungle with all the other animals.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 10:08 am 
FFIMer

Deleted double post.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 11:34 am 
FFIMer

Just how would you 'legislate' that type of behavior? Are common sense and courtesy words that no longer mean anything?

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 12:15 pm 
FFIMer

Vermonter wrote:
Just how would you 'legislate' that type of behavior?

I would have the department identify which waters get the most pressure and then devise a system of regulating access. Perhaps a system where people could get a use permit for specific sections of the water and times to be on it. Similar to some UK waters owned by private clubs, but it would be for the public. Then hire more wardens to over see and enforce it. I would also charge a fee for use and put the $ in the MDIFW coffers. That alone would reduce the amount of people on the water doing bad things.

Vermonter wrote:
Are common sense and courtesy words that no longer mean anything?

Yes. Otherwise there would be no posts of this nature. And besides, "common sense" and "courtesy" among other important words became completely lost on this country on November 8th 2016.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 1:02 pm 
FFIMer

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with politics, let's keep it that way.
I posted this as it relates to long standing etiquette on trout rivers regardless of background, flat brim,tweed, beer drinker or scotch drinker. Let's keep it on topic.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 1:10 pm 
FFIMer

Agreed. But my observation concerning the unwillingness to legislate responsibility still holds true.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 1:30 pm 

I'm not sure a legislative approach would be likely to be effective. The only thing close to this I am aware of is Connetquot State Park on Long Island, where for about $20, first come/first served, you can sign up for 4 hours on an assigned beat.

For duck hunting, there are state and federally managed systems of lottery draws for duck blinds, often on refuges. It's not something I've ever done or want to do.

I do think some (not many) of our trout rivers now have enough anglers that conflict is inevitable. Does anyone know how the "rod rack and pool rotation" system was developed on the state's most popular salmon pools back in they hey day of salmon fishing? I don't think there was any law involved, but if you didn't follow the local "rules" on some of those rivers, you were going to get corrected quickly.

I do think it's time for something like that on some rivers--and I will continue to avoid those rivers except on rainy weekdays in the shoulder seasons.