FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hex Emerger
PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 3:34 pm 

See my post on small streams and ponds for context.

Need a better floating/more durable hex emerger. This one looks good--has many of the features of the pattern I have used for years, but looks like it will keep floating after being slimed.

http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/page-878786

Post subject: Re: Hex Emerger
PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 3:37 pm 
FFIM Addict

What weight rod are you throwing those beasts on?

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 3:59 pm 

5. But a 6 would be better, and a 7 better yet--for the casting. But the bigger problem is leaders. These spin the crap out of even 3X, which I generally fish. 1X would balance nicely. Don't think the trout would mind. But I am usually fishing something smaller to the few fish rising before the hexes show, and taking my 10' 5x leader down to 1X leaves with about 4 feet of leader. If I cut back to 3x and add some length, I don't have to change leaders when I see the hexes are on. If I was smart I'd rig two rods . . . .

I've found hex hatches let me sneak the canoe pretty close, so I can chase down an individual fish and cover it with 25-40 foot casts rather than trying to double haul and throw knots in my leader.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 4:33 pm 
FFIMer

Nice fly. I do much better with emergers than duns. However, I found the hatch to be quite diminished this year, unfortunately. I still managed a bruiser, my largest brookie to date on a "dry" fly, but it was only one of very few legitimate sight fishing shots I had during the week I was up. Blind casting did nothing except get me a handful of smallish fish.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 5:33 pm 
FFIM Addict

I fish the Hex hatch every year on Big Nesoudnahuck. Did so again this year for several nights. Over the years I've tried several patterns including Hex emergers. All the larger flies have a couple of problems, they spin like crazy and fish have problems actually latching on. I've had nights with 50 takes and 3 fish hooked. As a consequence, I've gone to smaller patterns that don't spin as much. The trusty orange grasshopper still works great and I now use a size 10-12 Wulff in various colors. These smaller patterns are much easier for fish to eat and stay hooked.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 12:30 am 
FFIM-aholic

I have done well on the Danica hatch here using BIG soft hackles. Pheasant tail for the tail, tan boot body, a big golden thorax and a big gen collar. Gartsides sparrow has produced well for me too.

My hot fly for dries has been interesting. It is extended body by coating a bodkin in silicone, spinning on a tapered dubbing body, wood duck flank tail and allow to dry. Then I tie that to a #10 wide gap dry fly hook, and fashion a big CDC wing in a dubbing loop. Sounds hard but it all takes about 4 mins to tie. The silicone body is water tight, so floats like a balloon, and you can form that nice upward curve so only the hook an dcdc is on the water. The fat, but short hook makes for consistent hookups. Less spinning because of the CDC.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2017, 8:07 am 
FFIMer

Hoping to hit the last of the Hex hatch next weekend at Grants camps. I was thinking of putting either a bead or cone head on some Maple syrups. Has anyone had luck with putting weight on the MS's.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2017, 8:42 am 

I've definitely seen MS's with beads.

Don't take this personally--I know the problem is me. But the Maple Syrup is the most highly touted fly that doesn't produce for me. It's definitely not a good representative of a hex emerger, though it is the right color and if you fish it in the right size and get it to the right depth, it ought to do well for you--and for thousands of other people who fish it as a hex.

Just not for me, despite years of trying them. :(

I've done well on the hex hatch with a bugger with a tan or light yellow body, short mottled marabou tail, and an olive died grizzly hackle. I prefer no bead and a sinking line, as the naturals are not diving towards the bottom like a bead head will do, but slowly struggling towards the surface.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2017, 11:43 am 
FFIMer

Alvin Theriault ties weighted maple syrups in addition to unweighted. If I remember correctly and I know I have some, they are distinguished with red thread tied at the head instead of black.

Personally, I like using a sparsely tied Kennebago muddler as a hex nymph pattern. Works very well for me.