FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 7:59 am 
FFIMer

I am looking forward to a summer weekend trip up north this weekend and noted some extremely high water flows.

July 11
East Outlet 8433
West Outlet 197
Brassua 4566
McKay Station 7908
Seboomook 4247
Canada Falls 1540
Roach 93

I was thinking about a trip up to the West Branch, but seeing a number like 7900 and change at McKay, I will likely not beat the snot out of my truck at this point.

Anyway, I just wanted everyone to be aware and be safe if you are looking to get on some of the above mentioned waters.

Thanks,

- ZG -

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 10:58 am 
FFIM Addict

The western highlands got a slug of rain a week or so ago. Interestingly, non-dam controlled waters are flowing average to moderately low. The Piscataquis for instance is running a bit below average while the Sandy is running about average. Driving around Downeast last weekend- things were very droughty looking there. Water levels were low for this time of year.

Flows appear to be going back to a peaking discharge regime in the Forks today, so I suspect the Kennebec will be back to hydro-dominated 'normal' by weekend.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 12:35 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Don't fear the high water

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 1:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

maineangler wrote:

MA.......

Not sure I agree. 8433 on the East Outlet will drown you. My philosophy is always "live to fish another day". Drowning will really ruin your day.

Dave M

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 1:34 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Dave M wrote:
maineangler wrote:

MA.......

Not sure I agree. 8433 on the East Outlet will drown you. My philosophy is always "live to fish another day". Drowning will really ruin your day.

Dave M

If you're in it...
I don't fish EO, so if 8433 is unfishable I will take your word for it. There are very few conditions (floods, hurricanes) that would be unfishable for me. So much can be accomplished standing on the banks/boulders. The question is whether or not you want to fish out of your comfort zone, using different tactics. I'm convinced that when we step into a river we often step right into prime lies, which is why I now start to fish from the bank, and then progressively go out from there. Extreme high water will flush/push fish to the banks and shelters, making them easy to target from dry land.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 6:10 pm 
FFIM Addict

maineangler wrote:
Dave M wrote:
maineangler wrote:

MA.......

Dave M

If you're in it...
I don't fish EO, so if 8433 is unfishable I will take your word for it. There are very few conditions (floods, hurricanes) that would be unfishable for me. So much can be accomplished standing on the banks/boulders. The question is whether or not you want to fish out of your comfort zone, using different tactics. I'm convinced that when we step into a river we often step right into prime lies, which is why I now start to fish from the bank, and then progressively go out from there. Extreme high water will flush/push fish to the banks and shelters, making them easy to target from dry land.

Generally when you have high water the river is in the trees. No danger at all if you don't mind fishing in the woods.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 6:42 pm 
FFIMer

Wyman dam was cranking out 14000 cfs the day before yesterday.
I have learned to work with high water, as much as it makes some areas that I like to wade dangerous and borderline unfishable. I have learned that certain fisheries actually become more targetable in high water. If Madison is 7000 for example on the Kennebec its just about too much to wade. but to this day some of the best fishing I have ever had was when the kennebec river was almost to the white line on route 201 in the forks. I have been sworn to secrecy but a friend of mine and I had some unbelievable fishing in the kennebec system on flood stage.
I also one time had incredible fishing on a kennebec "tributary" during a borderline flood spell that didn't have enough water to hide a minnow the following spring.

I agree with you on the east outlet though, at 8000 one slip and your dead, or extremely waterlogged.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 9:28 pm 
FFIMer

High water can be very good fishing but driving 2-3 hours to do it is an act of desperation. If its in your back yard fine but I have a 2-3 hour drive to most summer rivers-I'll keep my eyes peeled for the weekend...I also have Friday off. There are a couple spots in the west that look comfortably fishable...probably be a zoo.
I am a wade fisherman 3rd year in Maine, I am getting used to it but...I have not tried the section of the Andro around Gilead...is wade access around there ok? Hard to tell from google maps

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 9:46 pm 

Small streams recover from rain events faster than larger rivers. Natural flowing rivers recover faster than dam controlled rivers (at least in early summer when reservoirs are near full). Ponds are unaffected except by the very largest storm events.

As Huntress points out, the non-dam controlled rivers are back into the normal flow range from last week's rain. My rule of thumb in summer warmwater conditions is that higher gradient streams above about 1200 feet in elevation will probably stay at fishable all temps in all but the warmest, driest summers. Those streams with good groundwater influence will stay good even at sea level, as several streams I was on last weekend demonstrated very well.

There is always plenty of fishable water if you are willing to be flexible, and I have ALMOST never felt crowded on a small stream or remote pond in Maine. Your chances of catching an 18" brookie will be lower (if not zero) in most of these places, but your chances of catching 25 trout before you see another angler will be much better.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 10:01 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks Jeff- I am not all that interested in size of fish...its nice but throwing bugs in a cool stream with a few fish in it is much more important to me. I'm in the stage of weaning myself off of guide books but I would like to get around to all of the larger more well know streams just to say I did. I will keep the parameters you described in mind in my research-Thanks again.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 10:29 pm 

I should just shut up about my favorite waters and enjoy the solitude. :wink: I'd worry, but with hundreds of remote ponds and literally thousands of miles of wild brook trout streams, I'm not terribly worried about the onslaught of anglers except on those places that are already in the guidebooks.

Everyone ignore all my recent posts. There are only about a dozen good reaches of trout water in Maine, and they are all on rivers where flows are controlled by dams. They are all going to have flows higher than you prefer this weekend, so you should all stay home or go bass fishing in the local pond and leave them to me. :wink:

PostPosted: July 13th, 2017, 6:54 am 
FFIM-aholic

I just looked at the flowline page and it shows McKay at 7900 through 7/31? :roll: It did rain up there last Saturday- the culvert was a mud puddle on Saturday night. Maybe staying home this weekend...

PostPosted: July 13th, 2017, 8:14 am 
FFIM-aholic

Sherpab,
Gilead is an easy wade. Good fishing, often crowded, very scenic.
You don't want to mess with high water coming down the Wild River though. That river gives definition to the term "flash flood". It can go from 50 cfs to, no kidding, 15,000, in a few hours. Do a little hiking in nearby Evans Notch and you'll see why. Not high (2,900 ft) but very steep mountains with lots of small creeks (bickford slides is a particularly enjoyable spot).
I was there during a round of heavy thunderstorms a few years back and it was shocking and quite scary to see the Wild achieve it's name.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2017, 8:21 am 
FFIMer

Don't forget the salt guys... my spring trout season was short. Between work and all the rain I only fished 4 or 5 times for trout in moving water this year. The last month I've been hitting stripers closer to home, and doing pretty well, although only schoolies. I'll give the trout a break untill the end of September, although a morning like today makes me wish I was on a certain river in Western Maine....

Peter

PostPosted: July 13th, 2017, 12:48 pm 
FFIMer

The Striper fishing has been good...great if you have a boat but pretty good-very good on the beaches. I am however a trout bum at heart-hence my desire to find cool running water and the fish that live there. I may head to western Me tomorrow and see whats going on. Thanks for the help everyone.