FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 22nd, 2017, 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crazy Stonefly Hatch
PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 4:08 pm 
FFIMer

Was at a well known stream yesterday. Golden stones 2" long were coming off all afternoon as well as caddis and BWO's, landed about 1 dozen brookies and 2 salmon, lost a pig of a brookie blind cast my stimmie into a good looking bank spot and he took it slowly like a brown might; the fight was on and brought him to within two feet of the net, he took one last sounding dive and snagged the line on a boulder and that was that...impressive girth- hard to get any approximation of length but had a blast. Fish were keying on the stones pretty exclusively...I have not seen a stonefly hatch that could since I lived out west. It was disgustingly good fishing...I was rusty on controlling slack and missed at least as many as I caught. Fun day EXCEPT a group of 3 anglers seemed to follow me around all day...every time I moved away they seemed to find me -not a lot of other anglers and plenty of water to fish. At the end of the day they hi-lowed :shock: me out of a good hole ...I said my peace with a few #$%@^ and left.

Post subject: Re: Crazy Stonefly Hatch
PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 4:28 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Well that sounds familiar!
Great report

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 6:18 pm 
FFIMer

Its not that big a deal for me...I fished the S. Platte in CO for years and it happened more than I care to remember and on the Swift in MA when I was at UMASS...good grief talk about combat fishing...but the river section was 2-3 miles long between access points..and there might have been those three, myself, and two other groups of two who kept to themselves-I hooked up pretty much everywhere I was trying so...maybe they weren't having good luck. The important thing is there were many fish and they seemed happy with the hatch.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 7:38 am 
FFIM-aholic

It doesn't matter where I've been or what I have experienced. Whatever the water, A good rise to a solid hatch is always a big deal for me!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 8:44 am 
FFIM-aholic

If you're were where I think you were, I've had the pleasure of hitting that hatch this time of year - what a blast! Big flies, hungry fish, and it's hard to make a mistake. They will take the fly dead drifted or skated and, fortunately for me, a "graceful" presentation was not a requirement. Glad you hit it!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 9:30 am 
FFIMer

If it is where I think you were, that stonefly hatch has been going off for 2 weeks now or more. When I caught it in the beginning of the month it was biblical. (It took some patience and concentration to ignore the half dozen, give or take, that sought refuge on my waders or vest and started exploring!) The only other time I've seen stones like that is on another river further up north. Sorry to hear that you were getting crowded, but do you really expect solitude on that stream?

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 9:34 am 
FFIMer

maineangler wrote:
It doesn't matter where I've been or what I have experienced. Whatever the water, A good rise to a solid hatch is always a big deal for me!

I was referring to the poor behavior of the other fishermen...the hatch...always a big deal and always fun!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 9:39 am 
FFIMer

AusableWulff wrote:
If it is where I think you were, that stonefly hatch has been going off for 2 weeks now or more. When I caught it in the beginning of the month it was biblical. (It took some patience and concentration to ignore the half dozen, give or take, that sought refuge on my waders or vest and started exploring!) The only other time I've seen stones like that is on another river further up north. Sorry to hear that you were getting crowded, but do you really expect solitude on that stream?

I don't expect solitude-I shouldn't have bitched about it...but given the lack of anglers and available open water...it was very unnecessary...that's all. Anyhow I wish I caught the hatch a couple weeks ago - I have hit the Salmonfly hatch on the Colorado, Madison, and Yellowstone...this was the first time I was reminded of anything like that here in the east. It was silly good!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 4:00 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Good stuff Sherpab. I would say unlike good fishing being great anywhere, a good crowd doesn't always suck everywhere. Sometimes the resource will support the pressure, sometimes so well that these areas take on a fun and celebratory mood. Joyous hollering, high fives and cheers to go around.
Individual moods are contagious in a crowd. I find if I'm being pressured to vacate a spot, sometimes it's best to step out and see what they can do. Maybe you learn something; or maybe they do. Or maybe the person crowding you just needs a good fish or two make their day. If you dialed it in, share your info and give them a run at it. This kind of attitude goes a long way toward making crowded spots more enjoyable places to fish. On the other hand, if a crowd makes you frown and dig your heels in, it's best not to fish crowded areas.
I have come around to fishing in crowded areas and don't mind it the way I used to.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 8:58 pm 
FFIMer

maineangler wrote:
Good stuff Sherpab. I would say unlike good fishing being great anywhere, a good crowd doesn't always suck everywhere. Sometimes the resource will support the pressure, sometimes so well that these areas take on a fun and celebratory mood. Joyous hollering, high fives and cheers to go around.
Individual moods are contagious in a crowd. I find if I'm being pressured to vacate a spot, sometimes it's best to step out and see what they can do. Maybe you learn something; or maybe they do. Or maybe the person crowding you just needs a good fish or two make their day. If you dialed it in, share your info and give them a run at it. This kind of attitude goes a long way toward making crowded spots more enjoyable places to fish. On the other hand, if a crowd makes you frown and dig your heels in, it's best not to fish crowded areas.
I have come around to fishing in crowded areas and don't mind it the way I used to.

Great points. I was heading out to the car a couple young guys maybe 12 or 13 with fly rods and not much else came down the path, I told them what was up and that I'd give them a fly that was working if I didn't leave them in the trees...they said thanks anyways; it was good to see that...a kid not glued to a screen! The long and short of crowds for me is that I do expect them at certain places and times...I can deal with them for the most part but I give ample room to fish...and I do enjoy watching others fish especially if they are dialed in...you do learn...anyhow I probably sound whiny...I'm usually pretty live and let live about that stuff. I hope to find some more crowds at the EO if it comes down soon!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 9:04 pm 
FFIMer

sherpab wrote:
maineangler wrote:

Great points. I was heading out to the car a couple young guys maybe 12 or 13 with fly rods and not much else came down the path, I told them what was up and that I'd give them a fly that was working if I didn't leave them in the trees...they said thanks anyways; it was good to see that...a kid not glued to a screen! The long and short of crowds for me is that I do expect them at certain places and times...I can deal with them for the most part but I give ample room to fish...and I do enjoy watching others fish especially if they are dialed in...you do learn...anyhow I probably sound whiny...I'm usually pretty live and let live about that stuff. I hope to find some more crowds at the EO if it comes down soon!

as an aside...I have found...at least out west the guys guilty of crowding are often guides- they are full time trying to get their clients on fish and while I get it...its bad some places-the Deckers and Dream Stream of the South Platte host way too many bad guides.. the DIY guys for the most part are often of the same mind set...find some space or if you are in a tight situation give room and talk to guys before you start casting.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 9:14 pm 
FFIMer

There is still etiquette,crowded or not. Over the years I have learned to adjust accordingly. You can tell who doesn't know,who knows and doesn't care,and who knows but does it anyway. The difference between the guy who shadows you and crowds you when you have the hot stick and the guy who watches you from a distance and strikes up a conversation makes the difference between handing out the fly and giving specifics and keeping your back turned and planting on bottom.
Maineangler, I like your perspective. I've used the same approach, but you put it into words well.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 9:23 pm 
FFIMer

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
There is still etiquette,crowded or not. Over the years I have learned to adjust accordingly. You can tell who doesn't know,who knows and doesn't care,and who knows but does it anyway. The difference between the guy who shadows you and crowds you when you have the hot stick and the guy who watches you from a distance and strikes up a conversation makes the difference between handing out the fly and giving specifics and keeping your back turned and planting on bottom.
Maineangler, I like your perspective. I've used the same approach, but you put it into words well.

I agree with you both...hope the fish gods bestow great gifts!

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 7:28 am 
FFIMer

Crazy Stonefly Hatch....

This past Saturday (07/15/17) I took a friend and his son over to Moose River. Flow had leveled off and with the cooler temps., I was hoping for the best. We saw many fish rising, but could not get them to feed on what we were offering. Headed back to camp, got the boat ready, went out on Moosehead trolling for a few hours. Rain and thunderstorms rolled in, no luck on the lake. Afternoon, we took a stroll over to Roach. We were able to connect with a few small brookies, nothing of any size.

Sunday we got a late start, hit the river, not expecting much, on one of my favorite pools, managed to get into a 20" salmon on, you guessed it, a yellow stonefly. I was shocked to see a fish of this size on the river this time of the year. I guess the cooler temperature and water flows and a game changer this year. Continued attempts produced numerous brook trout of smaller sizes.

We saw no one on the river. Sorry you had to deal with the combat situation.

Have an awesome day!

- ZG -

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 11:21 am 
FFIM-aholic

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:

Indeed Roundabout, there are those lacking in tact whom are not deserving of consideration. That's usually when I dig in though I try to check that impulse.
Fishing the aforementioned stonefly hatch last week to very memorable results, an older gentleman came down to the prominent pool and lingered about, then after five minutes or so of fidgeting, started to head off downstream. I hollered down if he wanted to take the pool for a try. He asked if that was an invitation, I said sure, why not? Then I told him what was happening for me. He didn't have the fly, or the 6x fluoro that I assumed was playing a big role. So I sliced off a length of the tippet and handed him a #8 stimmie. Then told him I was going to hit it again while he geared up. About five minutes later he yelled that he had to get going but thanks anyway. But still milled about for another ten mins or so. I began to feel like he wanted the pool but was much too polite to bother me about it. So I quickly exited the pool and headed off toward my car. I hope he ended up enjoying what I assume was a continuation of the excellent rise!