FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 18th, 2017, 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How often do you pond fly fish for trout?
Poll ended at August 7th, 2017, 5:08 pm
I only pond fish 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I pond fish 10+ times a year 26%  26%  [ 11 ]
I pond fish 5-10 times a year 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
I pond fish 1 to 5 times a year 42%  42%  [ 18 ]
I never fly fish ponds 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 43
PostPosted: July 10th, 2017, 8:13 pm 

Ken B wrote:
A pond by definition: a small body of still water formed naturally or by hollowing or embanking

So . . . . just to complicate things, because it's in my nature.

Is Kennebago Lake a pond? Mooselookmeguntic? Chamberlain?

How about wholly artificial reservoirs like Flagstaff, Indian Pond or Aziscohos?

Am I pond fishing if I am casting streamers during the smelt run off the mouth of a brook?

Or casting at the mouth of a brook in late September?

Even if none of the above count, I'm at 10+, and have been pretty much all of my fishing life.

Ken, a companion poll might also be worthwhile--what percentage of you fishing is on stillwaters vs. moving water? Some the responders above don't fish ponds all that much, but that may just show that they don't have much free time to fish. Others fish all the time, but still don't both with ponds. Those folks really shouldn't be lumped together.

My fishing is probably 50% inland stillwater; 35% moving non-tidal water; and 15% tidal water.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2017, 9:32 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Ken B wrote:
A pond by definition: a small body of still water formed naturally or by hollowing or embanking

How about wholly artificial reservoirs like Flagstaff, Indian Pond or Aziscohos?

Am I pond fishing if I am casting streamers during the smelt run off the mouth of a brook?

Even if none of the above count, I'm at 10+, and have been pretty much all of my fishing life.

Ken, a companion poll might also be worthwhile--what percentage of you fishing is on stillwaters vs. moving water? Some the responders above don't fish ponds all that much, but that may just show that they don't have much free time to fish. Others fish all the time, but still don't both with ponds. Those folks really shouldn't be lumped together.

My fishing is probably 50% inland stillwater; 35% moving non-tidal water; and 15% tidal water.

Good questions. As for the mouths/inlets: I was told by a warden that if you are fishing an inlet, and there is obvious current/broken moving water, it is considered the river/stream and not the lake/pond. Significant after Sept. 30 and prior to April 1, as these areas are closed.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2017, 9:59 pm 
FFIMer

Taking Jeff's point into consideration, I would change my vote to zero. IF I'm fishing a pond it's the inlet during the smelt run. To answer the moving water question, 99% of my fishing is on rivers,brooks and streams.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 8:52 am 
FFIMer

1-5 65 Scott

PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 11:58 am 
FFIM-aholic

This explains why there's so much peace & tranquility on the ponds! :wink:

PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 12:05 pm 
FFIMer

InTheTrees wrote:

Until everyone reads how great the pond fishing is....

It's kind of like the sudden run on nymphing rods, there'll be a glut of them on eBay this winter.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 12:21 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Ken B wrote:

+1. Maybe this will engender a clarifying response then just a general definition of a pond.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 12:51 pm 
FFIM-aholic

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
InTheTrees wrote:

Until everyone reads how great the pond fishing is....

It's kind of like the sudden run on nymphing rods, there'll be a glut of them on eBay this winter.

The pond fishing in Maine sucks anyway...that's why nobody does it!

PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 6:44 pm 
FFIMer

I don't pond fish often 1X per year or two, I would if it were closer to me I would do more.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 8:20 pm 
FFIMer

61 - fished from a kayak, float tube and pontoon boat (probably +20/season). But physical issue and a new location far from decent water have kept me side-lined for the past couple of years.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 12:46 am 
FFIM Addict

1-5 and 36. I pond fish a few times a year, either because it's easier to do that with the kids, or because I'm doing the high mountain pond thing in Colorado, which for me means sight fishing to rising trout. One of my neighbors who catches a lot more big fish than I do does the serious pond thing on the Laramie Plains Lakes (they call everything out here a lake, including things that would not qualify as a great pond in Maine) and tells me about catching some truly massive trout doing it. But he's running nymph rigs or sometimes streamering and putting in the long hours, hunting for pigs. For me, pond fishing is kind of like nymph fishing -- I like it when the fishing is good, but I get bored if it's not good fishing. I apparently should go to gatherings of flyfishers more often in an effort to make myself feel better about the receding hairline and expanding waistline.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 7:03 am 
FFIMer

55. 1-5

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 7:25 am 
FFIMer

TGIF wrote:
I guess I can speak for Peter and one other... you guys are all wicked old... just saying....

Yup, that is mostly true... sorry guys. I can't think of anyone of my fly fishing friends who is younger then I am. I do fish with my cousin, who is 25, but he only FFs 2 or 3 days a year, and those are the days I drag him to NW.

Peter

PostPosted: July 13th, 2017, 8:58 am 
FFIMer

1-5 times. 61.

1-5 times. 61.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2017, 9:54 am 
FFIMer

Ken B wrote:

"Embanking," could this include a beaver dam pond?

I have found and fly fished many incredible beaver dam ponds in my lifetime for brook trout; but other than those, everything else I have fly fished in recent years would be defined as flowing water.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next