FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MDIFW Rules Proposal
PostPosted: July 6th, 2017, 12:57 pm 

Heads up for a fishing rules proposal and hearings coming up. I was emailed the package today and can forward it to anyone who asks via pm. As of this morning when I last checked, it was not yet posted on the Department's website. I'll let you know when it's there.

There is a lot--more than 200 pages of proposals. I've only skimmed them, but initial impressions:

(1) Northern Maine will go to "No size or bag limit on bass" as general law, presumably with exceptions in those waters where bass are managed.
(2) 17 proposed additions to the "Heritage Waters" list.
(3) Lots of regulations on individual water bodies will go away in the name of rules simplification. Haven't looked closely enough to see which waters are affected, but there are lots of ALO and restrictive length and bag limits on stocked trout waters that will revert to general law.

Many of these are for waters I don't know, so you should take a look to see what's proposed. Let me know if you have thoughts. I'll be working with Maine Council TU members on TU's comments.

Hearings:

July 25, 2017 @ 6:30 p.m. – Northeastland Hotel, Red Room 436 Main Street, Presque Isle
July 26, 2017 @ 6:30 pm – Baxter Park Inn, Conference Room, 935 Central St, Millinocket
July 27, 2017 @ 6:30 pm – Ramada, Breakfast Room215 High Street, Rt. 1 & 3, Ellsworth
August 2, 2017 @ 6:30pm – University of Maine Farmington, Olson Student Center CR 123, 111 South Street, Farmington
August 3, 2017 @ 6:30pm – Comfort Inn, Breakfast Room 199 Pleasant St, Brunswick

Post subject: Re: MDIFW Rules Proposal
PostPosted: July 6th, 2017, 1:09 pm 

It's been posted, but there is no link to the proposal.

Again, pm me with an email address and I'll email it to you. Or, perhaps the moderators can give us a sticky with the PDF files?

Alternatively, if you want a copy directly, the notice says to email Becky Orff at DIFW: becky.orff@maine.gov

Seems odd to me they don't just post a PDF with the proposal, which most other state agencies do for their rulemakings.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2017, 3:33 pm 

Never mind--I just missed it in the announcement. This link should take you to the proposal.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/aboutus/laws_rules/pdf/fishingregulationproposals_2018.pdf

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 9:29 pm 
FFIMer

If for no other reason than to simplify the rules here...they are insane

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 1:48 pm 
FFIM Addict

I do not think I can make any of the public hearings. When are comments due to Becky Orff?

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 6:05 pm 

August 14. It's in the announcement posted above.