FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2017, 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 8:10 pm 
Offline
FFIMer

Joined: March 16th, 2013, 11:04 pm
Posts: 546
Without googling, who named the three forks of the Missouri and who are they named after and why?
Just learned this tonight, Pretty interesting stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 9:19 pm 
Offline
FFIM Addict

Joined: December 2nd, 2001, 1:00 am
Posts: 3466
Location: T3R11
Pretty sure the Gallatin and the Jefferson flow into the Missouri but don't know the third. So the Jefferson is for the President but Gallatin?? I don't know.

_________________
You see that dimple way over there? Well I couldn't hit it with a cruise missile.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 20th, 2017, 7:23 am 
Offline
FFIM Addict

Joined: December 2nd, 2001, 1:00 am
Posts: 3912
Location: Ellsworth
dryflie wrote:
Pretty sure the Gallatin and the Jefferson flow into the Missouri but don't know the third. So the Jefferson is for the President but Gallatin?? I don't know.



The third would be the Madison......I believe. Another President?

Dave M

_________________
"Fish the West every year. Life is short; and you'll be dead a long time." Chris Hutchins--2009


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 20th, 2017, 7:29 am 
Offline
FFIMer

Joined: March 16th, 2013, 11:04 pm
Posts: 546
Correct, but who named them and why?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 20th, 2017, 7:32 am 
Offline
FFIM Addict
User avatar

Joined: December 4th, 2001, 1:00 am
Posts: 5146
Location: Near the tying bench
RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Correct, but who named them and why?


A couple of guys on a government-paid fishing junket across the west. Back when 'Merica was great.

_________________
"You never miss the water until the well runs dry" - traditional blues


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 20th, 2017, 8:04 am 
Offline
FFIM Addict

Joined: December 2nd, 2001, 1:00 am
Posts: 3912
Location: Ellsworth
Yeah....Lewis and Clark named just about everything out there.

In Bozeman you have Lewis and Clark Park.....the Lewis and Clark Hotel, etc. etc.etc.

Even Cutthroat Trout are named after those dudes.

Dave M

PS:Onchorincus Clarki and sub species Onchorincus Clarki Lewisi

_________________
"Fish the West every year. Life is short; and you'll be dead a long time." Chris Hutchins--2009


Last edited by Dave M on June 20th, 2017, 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 20th, 2017, 9:32 am 
Offline
FFIM Addict

Joined: December 2nd, 2001, 1:00 am
Posts: 3466
Location: T3R11
For some reason, I always thought the Madison flowed NW. OK now, who was Gallatin?

_________________
You see that dimple way over there? Well I couldn't hit it with a cruise missile.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 20th, 2017, 9:57 am 
Offline
FFIMer

Joined: March 16th, 2013, 11:04 pm
Posts: 546
Short answer, Albert Gallatin was Secretary of Treasury and helped plan the Lewis and Clark expedition. Every member of the Expedition had a tributary named after them, And they preferred horsemeat to salmon during their winter in Oregon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 20th, 2017, 11:03 am 
Offline
FFIM Addict

Joined: December 2nd, 2001, 1:00 am
Posts: 3466
Location: T3R11
RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Short answer, Albert Gallatin was Secretary of Treasury and helped plan the Lewis and Clark expedition. Every member of the Expedition had a tributary named after them, And they preferred horsemeat to salmon during their winter in Oregon.


My local Hannaford doesn't carry horsemeat so I go with the salmon.

_________________
You see that dimple way over there? Well I couldn't hit it with a cruise missile.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 20th, 2017, 12:08 pm 
Offline
FFIM Addict
User avatar

Joined: December 4th, 2001, 1:00 am
Posts: 5146
Location: Near the tying bench
dryflie wrote:
RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Short answer, Albert Gallatin was Secretary of Treasury and helped plan the Lewis and Clark expedition. Every member of the Expedition had a tributary named after them, And they preferred horsemeat to salmon during their winter in Oregon.


My local Hannaford doesn't carry horsemeat...


That you know of. :mrgreen:

_________________
"You never miss the water until the well runs dry" - traditional blues


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group