FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2017, 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 13th, 2017, 4:37 pm 
FFIMer

The good news is that the fly shop is doing nicely, thank you all for your support. My dilemma is my shop hours, I want to be available to my customers when they need something but I also like to go fishing, last week I was in GLS Wed, Thurs, Fri.. I'm leaving for the East Outlet tomorrow for a couple of days, when I'm not here the store is closed, I'm headed to Montana in a few weeks so the store will be closed for 2 weeks. My solution to this dilemma is to have flexible hours, I am here in my shop most of the time, I have a sandwich board sign that is out whenever I am here, if you're local and see the sign, I'm here. If you have to travel to get here, give me a call to make sure I'm here. (207 273 4077) or drop me an email (traolac@gmail.com) or check my facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/TheFlyfishermansPlace) where I will post the days I'm away. I'm usually in the shop around 8am and I'm here until 5.30pm. In other words, I'm here a lot more than I'm not. I hope this helps both of us, if you have any comments or suggestions please let me know. Terry

PostPosted: June 13th, 2017, 4:54 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Perhaps it is time to go digital? ECommerce is a nice tool, when you can't indulge people in face to face presence.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 15th, 2017, 10:24 am 
FFIM Addict

Aldo French had (and may still have) a nice little fly shop at lower dam. It was open all the time with an honor system for payment. Perhaps that's a way to go if you live in the right neighborhood. Also, Mike Holt used his mailbox for early morning deliveries, I'd call and order stuff then swing by at 6 AM on my way north.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 5:03 pm 
FFIMer

Thank you both for your comments, I have a ecommerce site in the works and I also sell on eBay so I appreciate the importance of on-line sales. However, I want to have an old-fashioned fly shop where you can stop by, see what's new and talk flies and fishing, you don't get that on line. I like Mike Holt's idea with the mailbox, it's pretty clever. thanks again, Terry