FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 13th, 2017, 11:40 am 
FFIMer

Had what has become an almost annual trip up to Libby Camps, either in the outpost cabins or the main camp. This year was the main camp for three days with a buddy and, as usual, it was a fantastic trip. Water temps and flows were all good, biting bugs were impressive to say the least and the fish were cooperative. The fish were taking them on top, down low and we even hit a few hatches that we could actually match. As for the food, even hiking around in waders for most of the 3 days did not prevent additional pounds being put on. For the first time in almost 18 years we had two flats on this trip. Did come across a couple of very aggressive Loons on one pond that put a damper on the fishing. You can see one of them chasing fish in about a foot of water in the video. https://youtu.be/hUOW4rrcOvw

Attachments:
20170606_210118.jpg
20170606_210118.jpg [ 150.07 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]
File comment: One of 4 nice fish taken from this hole
GOPR0950.jpg
GOPR0950.jpg [ 245.61 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]
20170606_153259.jpg
20170606_153259.jpg [ 247.45 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]

PostPosted: June 13th, 2017, 9:57 pm 

Skip, I have had the same loon issues this year, and have lost at least 3 good (15"+) brook trout to loons. One on Kennebago Lake; the other two were back to back trout to the same loon--which followed me around all day as I was the only canoe on the pond--on a remote Baxter area water.

I also managed to use my Kevin Durant-style head fake skills to get a few trout released that I think survived. My wife Dee Dee may have gotten a photo of one of the loons as it surfaced with a 16" trout. I'm not sure whether my feelings are about this are dominated by awe that critter with a brain the size of peanut can learn a new foraging strategy so well, or being pissed at having my catch-and-release attempts foiled.

I spent the rest of my Baxter trip on waters too small for loons to land--an effective strategy, but the fish were a lot smaller than they were on the bigger lakes.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2017, 8:26 am 

Hey Skip, sounds like another great trip up there - I was wondering if you might be in the neighborhood last weekend - I think we might have timed it just right...we need to talk about some bassin - I'll be in SWH for the next week - Tight Lines!

PostPosted: June 15th, 2017, 10:54 am 
FFIMer

Jeff, that Loon was in 12" of water. Reminded me of sharks chasing bonefish on the flats and just as fast, if not faster. At least up here I'm not worried about losing a body part.
There was at least one good fish that took a 30' trip through the air to keep it away from the Loon.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 4:46 pm 
FFIMer

Funny you guys should comment on unusual loon activity. Just back from the Deboullie region and we were literally attacked by a loon as soon as we had fish on in both Black pond and Denny pond. Jen at Red River Camps says her loon pair are extremely aggressive when people are fishing. Must be something in the water? Hopefully not lead!!

PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 6:23 pm 
FFIMer

Sounds like a great trip Skip. Lots of people like that area.