FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Last Trout Trip...
PostPosted: June 12th, 2017, 9:52 pm 

...of the first half of the season, anyway...on Saturday I headed up into 2 remote, first order tributaries of the Penobscot River - I dragged my kayak into both of them and had good fishing at both - the first one I had never been to before - it was a flowage punctuated by beaver dams, where the water was stained and the pools were dark, so the brookies had dark backs and beautifully colored flanks - I found a canoe stashed on that one and documented the trail into it, so that will make my life a lot easier on the next visit - the next brook I visited was a flowage as well, but with even less flow than the first brook and it fished more like a pond than a stream - I had been there once in the past but never really figured it out - there was also a canoe stashed on this brook and this time I mapped the trail into it as well - just as I was getting ready to give up on this brook, I stumbled into some fish, which kept me busy for the rest of the day - both of these streams will go down in my book as at least solid "drive-by" spots (now that I know where the trails are) - I used a streamer inspired by John Geirach and given to me by my friend Evelyn King - that fly is a keeper too...it was pretty clear that neither stream had been visited yet this year, except for a lot of moose, of which I saw 7 on this trip - that's a big improvement over my earlier trips up there this year - the black flies were horrific and the deer flies were out for the first time this season too - it's been a fine season so far & I'm hoping to carry it over to the bass and striper show on the Penobby very soon - Tight Lines!

Attachments:
WB Penobby in the moonlite.jpg
WB Penobby in the moonlite.jpg [ 14.4 KiB | Viewed 550 times ]
brook.jpg
brook.jpg [ 71.56 KiB | Viewed 550 times ]
brookie.jpg
brookie.jpg [ 34.65 KiB | Viewed 550 times ]

Post subject: Re: Last Trout Trip...
PostPosted: June 14th, 2017, 7:25 am 
FFIM Addict

Beautiful brook trout colors, thanks for sharing.

Do you typically find many moose sheds in your travels?

Post subject: Re: Last Trout Trip...
PostPosted: June 14th, 2017, 8:22 am 

Thank you FL - yeah, the prettiest brookies I catch usually come out of black bottomed, heavily stained waters - and yes, I typically find about 1 shed a year - I was shocked this year because I spent a lot of time on heavily travelled moose paths, and didn't find a single moose shed - found 1 deer shed tho...Tight Lines!