FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 11th, 2017, 10:38 pm 
FFIMer

Hi Fellow Anglers,

Am thinking about getting up to Rapid River in a few weeks ...I know it's late in the season yet am wondering if any one has fished it recently? Are the small mouth bass very plentiful and, when caught, should we throw them into the woods to help surviving trout? Also, any helpful information will be much appreciated, per usual (recommended flies, flow information, access gates, etc.).

Best wishes to all for a safe and happy season, Ken

PostPosted: June 12th, 2017, 10:36 am 
FFIMer

No one has been fishing it. The water has been high and now the bugs are fierce, and it is full of chubs.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2017, 1:21 pm 
FFIM Addict

granger wrote:
No one has been fishing it. The water has been high and now the bugs are fierce, and it is full of chubs.

You forgot the part about the naked guy showering down by the river and bear problems related to dead bass along the shoreline. :wink:

PostPosted: June 12th, 2017, 1:31 pm 

I haven't fished it this spring and don't plan to. In addition to the hordes of blackflies (which are everywhere this year and as bad as I can recall); and the chubs that Granger mentions; and the naked guy and bears Hunter brings up; and the smallmouth--the crowds of anglers discourage me. Don't go expecting solitude, but it you are willing to fish with lots of company, the trout and salmon fishing can still be very good.

It's some years since I fished it, so I can't give informed advice on flies. Late June can be getting kind of late for good brook trout fishing, but the salmon will be active, and the brookies too if the water stays cool. Please be mindful of water temps when playing those brook trout. Better to break one off quickly than play it literally to death in marginal water temps.

As for the bass, whether you should kill them or not depends on your own ethics, but the regulations are "no size or bag limit on bass" so harvest is encouraged. Personally, I kill juveniles too small to harvest by breaking their necks and dropping them in the stream. Anything large enough to fillet gets eaten. Smallmouth are delicious. Tossing them on the bank can create a stinky mess.

By the way, those "chubs" are probably fallfish, a native species that has coexisted with the brookies for a long time, and should not get the same treatment. Neither should the suckers, which provide a spring meal for the brook trout and an annual people-watching experience for anglers who don't get up at 2 am and park on the honey hole with a lawn chair to "claim the spot".

PostPosted: June 12th, 2017, 5:28 pm 
FFIMer

I agree with Jeff completely, I have yet to make it there this year. I have planned 3 trips and it's been absolutely blow out every time, and that's ok with me, those fish could certainly use a break.
I have only caught a handful of smallmouth over the years, all of them less then 6 inches, and all of them get quickly dispatched and returned to the river. Our rivers need all the nutrients they can get and it is one way to get something good out of the bass there.

I was up in that area a week ago, no black flies or mosquitos around at all.... Sunday was another story. I have never been pushed off a rivery by bugs before but last Sunday it happened. I'm talking about everytime I slapped at my skin I squished 6 mosquitos. It was warm and I was still wearing my wading jacket with the cuffs sealed and hood drawn tight to limit the skin avaliable to them. Crazy how many were out, and the bug spray didn't phase them.

Peter

PostPosted: June 14th, 2017, 8:23 am 
FFIM-aholic

I've been in twice. As mentioned - the waters has been high. I've landed a few fish but, with the high water, hold on if they take you out into the fast water. The crowds were reasonable, one benefit of the higher water. Fished the side opposite of said naked guy - I just like that side better. Plenty of bugs; the kind we like and the kind we don't. I just go because I love the river and there's ALWAYS a few places without others fishing. Yes - I kill the bass.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2017, 9:29 pm 
FFIMer

Not from the Spring ,but i just saw this film on the Orvis Blog
https://vimeo.com/223451816

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 3:53 pm 
FFIMer

Ah, forgot about that guy, thank you for your response, much appreciated!