FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top water Bass Bugging
PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 8:15 pm 
FFIM Addict

All.....

Yes, I'm well aware that most of us are hyper focused on Salmonids. I am too.

But every once in a while I like to take a few hours, go to a warm water pond/lake and throw nothing but top water bugs.

I tie them in deer belly hair, foam, cork, etc. all float great. My favorite colors are black, orange, yellow, and frog.

All except orange worked today.....and that was only because I didn't tie any orange bugs on to my tippet.

We caught Smallmouth; Chain Pickerel; Bluegills (man those things fight well for their diminutive size) and Pumpknseeds. What a blast. Saw two of the largest Snapping Turtles I've ever seen sunning themselves on large rocks sticking up from the pond.

For years I've gone to this place and just fished Salmonids......while in some of the best Smallmouth areas in the country. From now on I'm going to take at least one day away from LL fishing to target the warm water species. Great fun......

Dave M

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 6:40 am 
FFIM-aholic

I am 100% in agreement... I just use cheap old hula poppers from ebay, though i dabble with some spun deer hair bugs. My folks have a camp on a warm water lake, that is loaded with Pickeral, Crappy, Bluegill, Pumpkinseeds, and Rock Bass (totally under rated). All of those fish are fantastic at using their dinner plate shape against you... and they eat like pigs.

The lake has good hatches, which are fun, but nothing better than a popper bite.

I'm surprised you didn't mention red... as dark red/maroon/burgundy is my go to color there. Also, i have better luck "waking" a fly compared to popping it.... i love to paddle around and go all "Jimmy Houston" on the docks.

Not to mention, putting a 4 year old on the bow, with a zepco and 2 doz nightcrawlers is just clean fun... and with a lot of gratification.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 7:23 am 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
I am 100% in agreement...

I'm surprised you didn't mention red... as dark red/maroon/burgundy is my go to color there. Also, i have better luck "waking" a fly compared to popping it.... i love to paddle around and go all "Jimmy Houston" on the docks.

ion.

Tim......

My mistake. I should have mentioned red.....I just forgot. That Red, well, more maroon than bright red, accounted for most of the Pickerel. I think they bit it off three times, spit it out, and we just paddled over and picked it up. The red one is a cork popper.......and we all know how well cork floats.

Dave M

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 9:12 am 
FFIM-aholic

I figured :wink:

The pickeral are really quite cool... watching them rocket out of the weeds and lilly pads is great to watch. I haven't had a lot of broken tippet, but honestly where i fish for these, they are 1 our of 20 fish, compared to the pan fish and bass.

My primary issue with tying deer hair bugs is finding small enough bass hooks, with the wide gape, that a panfish can eat. I just got some #14 ones from Allen, that are smaller, but still a stretch for a 1cm wide mouth.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 10:14 am 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
My primary issue with tying deer hair bugs is finding small enough bass hooks, with the wide gape, that a panfish can eat. I just got some #14 ones from Allen, that are smaller, but still a stretch for a 1cm wide mouth.

For pan fish, try Mustad 3366 hooks. LLB sells them. They're a straight eye hook- but work for smaller bass bugs, as long as you're trimming the belly flat just below the hook. And they come in small sizes. I use them when tying Atlantic salmon buckbugs as well.

Dave M- after trout season- I'll show you some fine bass and pickerel water. You don't mind fishing out of a Grand Laker do you? Oh- and Crazy Charlies in bluegill colors work great this time of year for the pickerel bight (and are easier to tie than bass bugs), but you do lose the topwater sight fishing component.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 3:09 pm 
FFIMer

I had been having slow fishing in the NH rivers this spring so last weekend I tied on an Atlantic Salmon Bomber that i use in New Brunswick and fished it from my kayak around Lake Canobie. It was non stop action and i got to watch the carnival folks ride Dino at the same time :)

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 8:40 am 
FFIM Addict

Hunter wrote:
TGIF wrote:
My primary issue with tying deer hair bugs is finding small enough bass hooks, with the wide gape, that a panfish can eat. I just got some #14 ones from Allen, that are smaller, but still a stretch for a 1cm wide mouth.[/quote

Dave M- after trout season- I'll show you some fine bass and pickerel water. You don't mind fishing out of a Grand Laker do you? Oh- and Crazy Charlies in bluegill colors work great this time of year for the pickerel bight (and are easier to tie than bass bugs), but you do lose the topwater sight fishing component.

David......

I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I was fishing out of a Grand Laker yesterday. Fantastic boats.

Dave M

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 10:58 am 
FFIMer

I haven't been a bass fisher since living in Texas in the early 90's but am a Redfisher. Check out this fly. Have to believe that a fella would tear up the bass using it.

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/techniques/fly-recipies/charlie-s-pole-dancer#page-2

PostPosted: June 12th, 2017, 12:28 pm 
FFIM Addict

I'm back in Maine for almost 3 weeks starting Sunday. This is the number one thing I'm looking forward to. Maybe I'll fish for or catch a salmonid (might do some canoe trolling with lead core for old times' sake), but I guarantee I will fish for and catch some fish on poppers.

On the kids and crawlers comment -- give those kids a fly rod and a small panfish popper. There's no better way to appreciate fly fishing than watching fish hit that popper. I can't wait to put my girls on those -- that reminds me that I need to pack a third fly rod and NOT LEAVE IT ON THE PLANE!

PostPosted: June 12th, 2017, 1:05 pm 
FFIM Addict

whitlock's fruit cocktail......i have a box full of about 30 of them in several sizes......might be the only bass bug i've used in 10 years

they go great with old fenwick glass rods