FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2017, 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nymphing methods
PostPosted: June 5th, 2017, 1:59 pm 
FFIM Addict

Drop Shot-
Czech -
Right angle -
Tight line -

What do you favor. I'm trying to do more of it. Probably put more time in this year than the past 5 combined. But don't feel I'm getting the complete hang of it. Always looking for options.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

Post subject: Re: Nymphing methods
PostPosted: June 5th, 2017, 2:35 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Right angle 90% of the time. It is a great way to get down fast, and casting it gets easier with practice.

I am determined to get good at czech numphing but I am lacking onfidence that I can get thatbclose to the fish.

French nymphing is a whole other ball of wax... 20' leaders, tiny flies and reading a fish's body language. I am not sure I have the patience for this one

What is drop shot?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 5th, 2017, 2:53 pm 
FFIM Addict

Guys/Gals.....

Be VERY careful doing some of these methods on FFO water. Remember, in Maine, the flies must be propelled by the weight of the fly line. In a few of the afore-mentioned methods you aren't casting those flies with the weight of the line.......

......so, technically, on FFO water, a Warden could ticket you because you're not meeting the Maine DIFW criteria for flyfishing. Just a "heads up".

Dave M

PS: whether we agree with that definition or not......it IS the law.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2017, 5:41 pm 
FFIMer

I do a little of everything, if I plan on nymphing all day, or for a large amount of time it's right angle. If I'm switching up a lot I just loop a TMB on where I want it. Sallow fast water I'm tight lining, which I'm very new at. I did spend all of Sunday morning working down a well known western Maine river tight lining. It is very effective in that type of water, it gives me another technique to use in a type of water I have always struggled with. I landed a few fish and missed a lot, but learned even more after doing it for 5 hours straight.

And yes, you better make sure you are fly fishing by legal definition. I ran into someone last fall up there, from Mass, who was telling me how great Czech nymphing is and that's all he does, 100% of the time. Showed me his rig, probably closeen to a half an ounce of lead with 25+ feet on mono for a leader. Told me to "get rid of all that fly line, you don't need it."
I told him "can't do that here in ME, you are not technically fly fishing"
I explained the law to him, he was not happy with me, and continued to fish with the same set up.

Peter