FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 4th, 2017, 8:10 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I'm not sure words can properly express this event but I will try. First however, I want to thank all of our guides. They give up an entire weekend to come fish with these women. I can't express my thanks enough. Our guides were:

Craig Beauregard
Peter Crowell
Mickey Haas
Rich Wilkins
Autumn Wilkins
Brandon Bichrest
Dave Tyrol
Greg Hutchins
Shaun Baggit
Mike Tracy
Shelby Rousseau
David Fenderson
Chris Bean
Adam Thibodeau
Ben Redmond
Dan Tarkinson
Courtney Nickerson
Andy Molloy
Scott Overbey
Terri Kelley
David McCarthy
Christi Holmes
Jon Larabee

I also want to thank our sponsors:

Dave Borman Catering
Baxter Brewing
Fore River Brewing
Craft Beer Cellar
Oquossoc Grocery
Bald Mountain Camps
Parkside and Main
Rangeley Lakes Heritage Trust
Outdoor Heritage Sporting Museum
Flytyers Anonymous

This was our 12th year of hosting alumnae of Casting For Recovery. We start with a welcome reception Friday night at the museum where the sports and guides get to meet each other and tour the museum. Saturday is a complete day of fishing with a celebration cookout that night. Lots of laughs, great stories and a lot of friendships formed. It's really hard to express the event in words as I said above so here's a few emails that I got today that may help...

"
Quote:
It was a special weekend -- my FIRST EVER FISH -- (remember the "15-lb chub " Terry and I described?); a special celebration for me since my oncologist just told me I could stop my cancer meds since after 7 1/2 years, he said I was cancer-free!! And the first time I was out fishing since the retreat last year !

I realized how much fun it could be. Terry Kelly was a a perfect match and I had no problem spending 8 hours alone with him in his handmade white cedar trolling canoe with all the fixings!

As you know, he is a fly fishing teacher and he nailed the instruction on everything from knots to flies to the physics of the whole casting action so that it all makes sense. A sweet, considerate, knowledgeable, humble guy.

You and your organizers did an amazing job. I can't thank you enough for treating us ladies with such compassion and attention. After losing my loving husband of 45 years to a very rare, fast moving brain disease a year after my cancer diagnosis in 2012 -- so quickly did one event follow the other that I barely could catch my breath -- and then to have a chance to learn about the art of fishing, first from those amazing women guides at CFR last year and now to learn about your volunteer program -- makes me feel a new door has opened.

thank you from my heart --

And another...

Quote:
I just don't have the words to thank you enough for this awesome weekend !
It just amazes me - all that you do for us - you really don't know what it means to have so many people ( you, all the guides, all the volunteers and the sponsors ) care this much to put together such a fun weekend !

And one last one...

Quote:
Thank you so much for all that you do for us ladies. It is such a gift to each of us. It means the world to me being a part of such a large community family even if it was a crappy reason for getting there. The love and kindness is such a wonderful thing to be apart of. Winning the rod was just a bonus

I've got another dozen or so in my inbox that express these sentiments about their day and their guides. Terry's name could be substituted with Peter, Christi, Ben, Dan, Dave or any of the other guides. Another great weekend!

PostPosted: June 4th, 2017, 8:44 pm 
FFIMer

Fantastic all of you. A much needed ray of light (and hope) in otherwise dark times! Thanks!

PostPosted: June 4th, 2017, 10:14 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Words can't do it justice. I realize that the women always think it is US doing so much for THEM, but it is THEM that do so much for US. We don't give up a weekend, we gain a weekend. I told Linda, my "sport", that it hit me today (the event is emotional and it usually takes me a day to think through what I just witnessed) how many times I heard the word "survivor". It amazes me how much passion, courage, and strength they have. I think yes - they are survivors but I think "thrivers" is almost more appropriate. They don't just live - they "thrive", they live their lives at a level that I am envious of, they are good souls to the core. I look forward to this event every year and can't wait for 2018! Thank you all for the hard work and letting me play a small role - CHEERS!

PostPosted: June 5th, 2017, 9:18 am 
FFIM Addict

as much as I love coaching softball, this is the thing I miss most.....more than actual fishing, which I rarely do these days.....

well done as always!

PostPosted: June 5th, 2017, 8:10 pm 
FFIMer

I can never say enough good things about this weekend. This was my 5th time and I know I have said it every year, but I really can't imagine not doing this. Just a fantastic time had by all, the whole thing just blows you away and leaves you humbled and in awe of these ladies.

Peter

PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 3:16 am 
FFIM-aholic

Nice work gang! Missed you all this year... but good memories.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 7:31 pm 
FFIM-aholic

well it sounds like everyone had a great time again, how could you miss, I really miss this event more than anything else that I'm out growing. I thought about all you folks all weekend. I miss all you guys
don

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 6:21 am 
FFIM-aholic

You were missed bud! You know you are more than welcome and that you don't HAVE to guide, right? Nothing would make us happier than to have you around - someone's got to wash the dishes! :P If you head west at all, give a shout, would love to share a pool with you!

don lynch wrote:
well it sounds like everyone had a great time again, how could you miss, I really miss this event more than anything else that I'm out growing. I thought about all you folks all weekend. I miss all you guys
don