FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nymphs......
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 8:17 am 
FFIM Addict

I'm well aware that a lot of flyfishers either don't like fishing them.....or out and out refuse to fish them. Hey....this is America and you can fish however the heck you want to. No issues, but.......

I've been out several days lately. I'm sure the dry fly fishing is about to pop, but at least for me, as yet, there has been little to no dry fly fishing. I did see about 12 individual Hendrickson Thursday....
But no trout/ll's up on them.

Now, we can be stubborn and fish dries, but I actually (gasp) like fishing nymphs.....so I do so frequently.

So far this season......as almost every season.....my most successful nymph, by several orders of magnitude, has been the PT, with a bead, and an orange collar. Just the other day I took two 16" Landlocks, two 18" landlock cks, a long line release on one significantly larger, and four Brook Trout of about 10" or so........and almost all were on that
BhPT. The other nymph that has been very successful for me has been a red Brassie on a scud hook.

The nymph that works for most people......but not me, apparently.....is the GRHE. I don't do squat on that fly, but as a lot of people say......if you don't have confidence in it, you won't fish it well.

My nymph rig is always a right angle nymph rig, which works gang- busters.

The Black Flys have been horrendous, but Bens usually makes them tolerable. I have seen more guys using head nets than ever this spring......so I guess it's not just me thinking that.
Get out there guys, it's going to get really good right about now.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Nymphs......
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 8:48 am 
FFIM Addict

Dave-

Do you want to go for a float tomorrow? I need to get the boat wet and spend some time on the water. I have a hunch fish will be looking up.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 9:10 am 
FFIMer

I have to agree with you Dave the bead head pheasant tail is a great pattern and one I use often. However, I would have to say my most successful nymph pattern in Maine is a green caddis pupa tied with a black tungsten bead size 16. There, my secret is out! Go get em'.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 9:24 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hunter- I might be free but need to be in Portland by 5:30 for Mac's graduation.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 10:27 am 
FFIM Addict

Hunter wrote:
Dave-

Do you want to go for a float tomorrow? I need to get the boat wet and spend some time on the water. I have a hunch fish will be looking up.

Ah man, David! Already floating with Sean McCormick tomorrow. Other than Wednesday and Thursday I'm available all this coming week, though.

DaveM
PS. Thanks for the offer, though!

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 2:56 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave M
Sounds like retirement is just like working. Do I wear the poke-a-dot tie with my striped shirt or the striped shirt and the poke-a-dot tie...Do I float with Hunter today or Title guy or Sean? Decisions Decisions. Enjoy it you worked for it.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 4:07 pm 
FFIM Addict

1weight wrote:
Dave M
Sounds like retirement is just like working. Do I wear the poke-a-dot tie with my striped shirt or the striped shirt and the poke-a-dot tie...Do I float with Hunter today or Title guy or Sean? Decisions Decisions. Enjoy it you worked for it.

Ron

Thanks Ron. Yeah....retirement is working out just fine. People that had retired all told me that they were so busy in retirement that they wondered how they ever found time while they were working. I found that rather difficult to believe......but it's true. I'm busier now than when I was working, but it's good busy. I do anything I damn well please, when it pleases me to do so.

Dave M

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 4:13 pm 
FFIM Addict

Lane S wrote:
I have to agree with you Dave the bead head pheasant tail is a great pattern and one I use often. However, I would have to say my most successful nymph pattern in Maine is a green caddis pupa tied with a black tungsten bead size 16. There, my secret is out! Go get em'.

Lane.....

That's really interesting. I've used that same pattern for years, and virtually never catch squat on it. I've tried it in front of the bah PT, behind the PT, and just about every other place one can fish it.....and the trout/ll's virtually always take the PT.

Again, I guess confidence means more than any individual pattern.

Dave M

PostPosted: June 4th, 2017, 1:38 pm 
FFIMer

Glad you're having success with that hot collar PT, Dave, worked like a charm for me. I'm all out of Orange collars, more on order. Terry

PostPosted: June 5th, 2017, 10:05 am 
FFIMer

Dave could you please provide set up on your vertical nymph rigging? Thanks, kchrlse

PostPosted: June 5th, 2017, 10:23 am 
FFIM Addict

kchrlse wrote:
Dave could you please provide set up on your vertical nymph rigging? Thanks, kchrlse

Well sure. It's pig-simple, really. I just tie my TMB on to the 2X where the leader stops ( so I can just add three X and 5X tippet if Bugs start hatching). To that I add however long flouro (always flouro) I need, straight 5X flouro tied to the TMB with a non-slip mono loop; add non toxic shot above the first nymph, then tie a second nymph to the bend of the hook on 18" of 6X flouro.

The upper nymph is usually bigger.....like a big #14 bh PT, and the lower nymph is smaller.....like a #20 bh PT or Zebra Midge pupa.

I'm well aware that Thingamobbers are set up to be placed anywhere on the leader that you want them......but I really feel that right angle nymphing is WAY more effective......as the 5X flouro cuts through the water so much better......and it hangs straight down from the TMB. HTH.

Dave M

PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 6:29 pm 
FFIMer

Dave, I have started getting into right angle nymphing and it has increased my success a lot and I thank you for that. My question is, I am going through a lot of tippet. Is there a way to save the tippet you use from the slididng loop down to the flies? It seams like a waste every time you break down to just throw out that tippet. Especially when I am using flouro?

PostPosted: June 6th, 2017, 6:47 pm 
FFIMer

tugboathunter wrote:
Dave, I have started getting into right angle nymphing and it has increased my success a lot and I thank you for that. My question is, I am going through a lot of tippet. Is there a way to save the tippet you use from the slididng loop down to the flies? It seams like a waste every time you break down to just throw out that tippet. Especially when I am using flouro?

Buy a rig holder. Plastic, foam, whatever. I fish tight line/Euro so it's an indispensable item to have.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 10:24 am 
FFIMer

Thank you very much. Will do right now.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 11:54 am 
FFIMer

Right angle nymphing is most of what I have done and have had the most success with. I use a Thingamabobber with a micro shot or two spaced out then a two nymph rig has been very successful for me in most circumstances. When it comes to the two nymph rig I like to go with two small nymphs, Caddis larva with a smaller BHPT as the dropper. It can can be a cluster to cast over any distance, but in the right setting its pretty deadly.

Its been a little while since I have been on a flyfishing only river and used this rig up. it was brought up that it might get questioned by a Warden( a thought that never crossed my mind).

I started experimenting with what I guess is czech style nymphing two years ago and in some cases I like the natural feel on the line and the sight fishing aspect of it. I feel that at times it matches certain fishing situations well, but I think if things are rigged up the proper way with right angle nymphing you can detect even the slightest of strikes by a fish.