FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: North Woods Update
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 12:26 pm 

On Sunday I headed back up into the upper reaches of the Penobscot watershed and it finally seems that it's trout time in the north woods - the first stream I fished was one I had fished in other areas with mixed results - on Sunday the stretch I fished was as trouty looking as it could be but apparently it was a nursery for baby salmon, so this place will prolly be revisited the next time we have a cool, rainy final week of the season - a good discovery! On Monday I was off to a distant corner of the watershed - after 2 hours of bouncing down rough roads I was turned back by a canyon-like washout - I drove back out and resumed my quest on an alternate road - an hour later I was halted by another massive washout - the entire North Branch of the Penobscot is now inaccessible from the east, at least by common routes - so, I came up with a plan B which worked out pretty well - I ended up fishing a medium sized stream that I'm familiar with and had my best showing of the year for brookies in terms of size and numbers - nothing to write home about but respectable - the water is still slightly high up there, the black flies were horrendous and I have yet to share a stream with another fisherman this season...a muddler worked well for me but a weighted streamer at the final set of falls brought me my finest fish of the trip - on my way home I did a "drive-by" at the West Branch of the Penobby and was able to cap the trip off with a trio of nice brookies - the water there is (was) still frigid but the flow was almost perfect - life is good and I'll be headed back that way in about 13 hours (not that I'm counting...) Tight Lines!

Attachments:
salmon nursery.JPG
salmon nursery.JPG [ 87.58 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]
washout.JPG
washout.JPG [ 88.04 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]
brookie.JPG
brookie.JPG [ 85.22 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]

Post subject: Re: North Woods Update
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 1:43 pm 
FFIM Addict

Brian, that washout is a reminder of the Esker road. Looks and sounds like you're in the prime of your winter dreams. Good luck and keep the stories coming.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 2:28 pm 
FFIM Addict

Brian- you can navigate around the washout on the Golden Road and the washouton the 490 Road. It just takes a while. I spent the better part of 4.5 hours getting back to Greenville via Pittston Farm from up in that country two weeks ago.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 5:45 pm 

Ron - that's the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw those chasms - I actually prefer giant washouts to small ones - that way I'm not tempted to try to cross them...

Hunter - yeah, I did a bit more poking around before I gave up, then I decided I'd rather be fishing than wandering around...what were you doing up there? I meant to also report that in the 1.5 days I was up there I only saw 3 moose - how many did you see?

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 9:00 pm 
FFIM Addict

Research. More on that later.

We saw 15 moose and 7 deer in a day up that way. I saw close to reverse that in the County last weekend. The cows have kicked the calves loose- so be weary of young lungs along the roads.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2017, 9:33 am 

Wow - that sounds like numbers from the good old days - I spent a full day in the NMW on Saturday, and for the second day this season, I did not see a single moose - for me, that is unprecedented, X2...One more thing - how was the condition of the road from Pittston Farm to Rockwood?

PostPosted: June 5th, 2017, 10:28 am 
FFIM Addict

The road from Pittston Farm to Rockwood was in rough shape in many places, but grading work was being done here and there.

I was up north of Portage last weekend and saw 8 moose, 7 deer, and a fisher in the road. I headed Downeast after to meet up with family and drove up 15 feet away from a bobcat hunting rabbits before it sauntered off. Critters are moving. Perhaps they fear your veggy mobile Brian. :)