FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leonard Bamboo rod
PostPosted: June 1st, 2017, 10:42 am 
FFIMer

I stole this rod at an action, was the only fishing piece at the action, and when it came up one person bid the starting bid, I bid $25 higher and won.

Should I be scared to use this thing on the river, and if not, what is a good set up for it?

Post subject: Re: Leonard Bamboo rod
PostPosted: June 1st, 2017, 1:53 pm 
FFIM Addict

Depends on what it is Mike. What length, No of pieces, any markings on it?

PostPosted: June 1st, 2017, 7:41 pm 
FFIMer

Says H.L Leonard

3 piece, two tips

No wt markings on the rod, but some paperwork with it says 7wt.

Attachments:
leonardmillssoleagentstamp.jpg
leonardmillssoleagentstamp.jpg [ 46 KiB | Viewed 659 times ]

PostPosted: June 1st, 2017, 8:17 pm 
FFIMer

DATE 1879 - 1887
based on this site
http://antiquerodandreels.com/mfg_l/leonard.html#

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 7:44 am 
FFIMer

Pictures please!

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 2:56 pm 
FFIMer

Here are a few

Attachments:
IMG_0340.JPG
IMG_0340.JPG [ 2.62 MiB | Viewed 596 times ]
IMG_0338.JPG
IMG_0338.JPG [ 2.84 MiB | Viewed 596 times ]
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG [ 3.33 MiB | Viewed 596 times ]

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 2:58 pm 
FFIMer

Ok, first time posting pics. Technical advice is welcome....lol.

The first(little) picture I posted with the butt stamp matches my rod's stamp, but is from the site that I linked. Also the link that stated the years that that stamp was in production.

The butt section is 40 inches, so i figure it's a 9 foot.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 5:20 pm 
FFIMer

Hi Mike, If the butt section is the original length it looks like you have a 10' leonard rod. Common for that era. The dating from the stamp seems to be right (1879 through the 1880s.). Leonard rods prior to this had a "Bangor" stamp.

I believe the rod has been refinished. Someone went to a lot of trouble to reproduce all of those intermediate wraps. ( the small wraps of thread up and down the rod. Not a bad refinish job but does not help it's value. Original finish even if dinged up would be better. The cane looks very light in color. Don't know what that's all about. May have something to do with the refinish job.

Appears both tips are short ( broken at some point) If you stand the rod on end all pieces should be the same length. If you could do this, let me know what you find out.

What little is shown of the cork grip shows some damage. I need to see more to say more. The guides may have been replaced with snake guides during the refinish. The rod might have been born with what are called flip ring guides. Maybe not. This was a transition period and you could request either.

If you look closely you should see two patent dates on the female ferrule on the butt section (The metal joint that connects it to the mid section.) Those dates read "Pat. Sept 3 1878" and "pat Oct 26 1875" This deals with the invention of that ferrule and an improvement to that ferrule. If those dates are not there it suggests the ferrule may be replaced.

My intent is not to dump on your rod it is a fine piece of history. I'm just telling you what I see. Fish it if you wish. I don't think you will care for the casting action. It's tough to appraise without better pictures but if you paid $50. you got a good deal in my opinion.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2017, 2:28 pm 
FFIMer

Looks like Calcutta cane that's been refinished at some point in the past. Calcutta went out of common use before WWI, replaced with the stronger, more durable, and faster Tonkin. The guides are modern replacements. The longer tip, with that knee in it, has probably got a break coming there - the kind of "cast" one gets from use is not that sharp. I wouldn't use that one. The shorter tip looks ok.
Assuming the ferrules are tight both male-to-female and to the wood (no clicks, pops or rotation), I think you can fish this rod safely provided you don't try to horse anything - fish, branch or obstacle - and fish it within its limits. The shorter tip will have a faster action, but this will never be a modern, crisp dry-fly rod. Nor will you be able to bomb out a big streamer or bugger on the business end of a full line. Rather, you'll be able to drift a cast of wets through riffles, runs, pools and pockets, dap soft-hackles and dries, maybe a little Tenkara-style fishing and generally have a lot of closer-range fun.
Handle it with care and respect due its age, wade carefully, and have fun.