FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting back in the game
PostPosted: June 1st, 2017, 10:40 am 
FFIMer

I have been out of the flyfishing thing for way too many years. I have done some, but not nearly as much as I like. I know it's like riding a bike. I have a nagging desire to tie flies, leaders and do more fishing, and it's time I respond.

I am looking for a new DT line and don't want to look at commercial avenues to weed thru what is a good DT line. Are you all recommending anything currently? Also, what rods are impressing all of you lately. I tend to be a fast action guy.

Would love some quick personality gear posts. Rod, line, reels and such. Interested in trout set ups.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2017, 1:19 pm 
FFIMer

There are millions of opinions in choices in rods... but, if you want opinions and are looking for a fast action rod at a value, I would buy a TFO - BVK (Temple Fork Outfitters) in a heartbeat... today.

I want one really bad myself, and I've read a ton on them. They do excellent in the shootouts vs other rods exponentially higher in price. They come with a spare tip and lifetime warranty. By all accounts a rocket launcher.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 9:15 am 
FFIM Addict

I have casted a BVK often, and I agree that would be a GREAT rod- at a much better price point than others. Good finish too. That said, there are few poor rods today- and a "used" rod is often a closet queen, having never seen much time on the water.

HUtch