FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 7:07 am 
FFIMer

cdc wrote, "and Kennebago cant handle it" (I assume "it" meaning the added pressure from Trolling) cdc went on to say "I don't know you from Adam but your post feel like they have a touch of elitism to them no?"

cdc, Twice in this post I have noted that it appears to me that a handful of waters carrying the FFO designation in Maine seem to do so out of tradition, political pressure or other outside influences. In one instance I name Kennebago specifically as possibly being one of these waters. With that said, I am far from an expert on the biology of the Kennebago watershed perhaps for some reason the state officials do feel strict protective measures are in order on Kennebago. Perhaps it has something to do with it's proximity to the Kennebago river and the need to protect that fishery? Sourdnahunk Lake near Baxter Park seems to me like another water that fits this exception. With that said, I am not an expert on the biology of Sourdnahunk lake either. Perhaps it carries the FFO designation for reasons related to what the state feels is appropriate measures needed to manage and protect that fishery.

In last part of your latest post you write,"I don't know you from Adam but your post feel like they have a touch of elitism to them no?" Please let me borrow another quote from you to bearbutt in this thread, " There it is personal attack." You left yourself wide open for that one my friend. :D

cdc, I have asked this question before and have yet to receive an answer. If the FFO designation is not for protection and conservation of a body of water ( with possible exceptions noted) then why does the state designate nearly 200 lakes and ponds FFO?

cdc, please enjoy your trip to Maine's FFO waters. We can continue this thread when you return.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 7:57 am 
FFIM Addict

FFO, no trolling on Kennebago likely is based a little on science and a lot on tradition and public pressure. Likely harvest could support trolling like on Paramachenne because they are both locked up resources with limited to no boat access to outsiders of the community. It's not like a guy like me goes to Kennebago on an afternoon to fish. Imagine the reaction of the guests of Grants if old willbagger and Winston showed up to troll some trout up!!! Regardless if the lake can handle it or not, probably not going to happen.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 8:31 am 
FFIM Addict

Hatch, your speculation on the need for strict conservation on Kennebago doesn't fly in the face of the change in law to permit harvesting trout during spawning season (October) in order to reduce the population. Clearly, if trolling is so much more effective than casting, that could have been tried. Your "tradition" response is probably a more likely reason it wasn't.

Think of the employment possibilities for locals to paddle or row sports around lakes like Kennebago or Sourdnahunk! Of course, the state would undoubtedly require a guide's license.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 10:45 am 
FFIMer

Ya Rory, I will admit the rulings on Kennebago are an enigma. By admitting my lack of knowledge of the biology of Kennebago Lake I was trying to make the point that none of us really seem to know for sure why the state does what it does with the rules on Kennebago. As I have stated previously in this thread, Kennebago and a perhaps a few other Maine waters don't fit the mold of the other 197 Maine lakes and ponds designated FFO. Tradition , politics and who knows what else may be at play.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2017, 7:22 pm 
FFIMer

Had a group at camp this week that thought that they were within the rules on an FFO water by tying a fly on their spinning gear. This is actually not an uncommon misconception.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2017, 11:01 pm 
FFIMer

hatch wrote:
Had a group at camp this week that thought that they were within the rules on an FFO water by tying a fly on their spinning gear. This is actually not an uncommon misconception.

Finally! Thank you. For all of the back and forth over nymphing techniques, how much fly line out, "elitism", etc. I think THIS is what the FFO designation is measured by. It limits the amount of pressure and tackle on certain waters. I would love to see the numbers of licences sold in a season based on fly vs. spinning. I'm willing to guess that fly fishing is 25% or less.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2017, 3:49 am 
FFIM-aholic

I got some of those water bobbers for my son, so that he can fish his orange woolley buggers that he loves to tie, from his spinning rod.

Of course i agree that this isn't a FFO tactic, but cool to see him fishing flies he tied.... I'll be honest, they are pretty good for a 4 year old :)

And Roundabout... you're the one who trademarked the Midcoast nymphing method... but I still think you have a little ways to go before I consider you a true Elitest... but keep up the good work, you're on the right track :wink:

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 15th, 2017, 9:33 am 
FFIMer

TGIF- Euro worming.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2017, 9:53 am 
FFIM-aholic

I got worms! :)

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: June 15th, 2017, 2:55 pm 
FFIMer

Let me finish the story about the sports who were tying flies to their spinning gear to go "fly fishing".
After we all had a good laugh at ourselves I scraped together some fly fishing equipment to lend them. After a ten minute lesson out on the lawn They headed out on the pond. They seemed to have a good time and even caught a few fish.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 12:34 am 
FFIM-aholic

Very cool hatch! What is the name of the camps you manage?

PostPosted: June 18th, 2017, 11:42 am 
FFIMer

TGIF, The FFIM board frowns upon people using a post for advertising and I don'r blame them. I PMed you with come camp info. Thanks, Tom

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 1:17 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hi! PM didn't go through. I am sure everyone would understand that you werent doing it for free marketing.... but you never know I guess. :)

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 5:37 am 
FFIMer

TGIF, You can email me at tbrowne@roadrunner.com Thanks

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 6:05 am 
FFIMer

Just had a group at camp on a FFO pond and one guy had an electric trolling motor on a square stern canoe. He came paddling back to camp with fly line all wound around his prop. Gee,I wonder how that happened. He was probably just lighting a cigar! Maybe he was swatting a black fly? I got it! He was just moving from one spot to another and didn't want to bother with the hassel of bringing his fly line in ! Oh, I know! He had to pause from casting and retrieving to scratch his butt! :roll: