FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 24th, 2017, 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upper Dam
PostPosted: May 18th, 2017, 10:56 am 
FFIMer

Went in to Upper Dam today to look the place over and wet a fly. They are discharging at 3750 cfs today, a lot of water. The place looks pretty good overall now that the coffer dams are gone and it has been cleaned up. Flow looks like it did before construction now that they are using the central spillways. Moved a salmon and had a trout follow, but the fish are not very active yet. There were four other anglers there, no one hooked up. We had an inch of snow Sunday so water temps are still low. Mooselook had a pool elevation of 1468.2, which is as full as it can get without the passive emergency weir spillway coming into play. The water level was about an inch from from the top of the weir. My dock at that level is partially submerged, which hasn't happened in many years. Will need to raise it 6 inches I guess if this is to be normal spring height now with the new dam.

All this water should make for a great summer season here in Rangeley. The Kenebago should get a push of salmon in June. A Brookfield rep told me they are going to start work on Middle Dam next, perhaps this fall.

Post subject: Re: Upper Dam
PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 2:55 pm 
FFIMer

granger wrote:
The place looks pretty good overall now that the coffer dams are gone and it has been cleaned up. Flow looks like it did before construction now that they are using the central spillways.

Great news. Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 11:19 pm 

Granger:

That should not be the new "normal" lake level. Brookfield has not amended the license, which has a target full lake level of 1467.5. Of course it goes higher than that before it goes over the spillway in a flood.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 7:14 am 
FFIMer

Thanks Jeff,
I was trying to find out what the agreed lake level was, they seem to be dropping it some, hope it gets down to 1467.5!! Then I could use the dock again!

PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 8:42 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Tom,

You can come use my dock on the pond! Canoe is waiting for ya. Just let me know and I'll give you the combo. The first flying ants showed up today so the hatch isn't too far behind.

Ken