FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 28th, 2017, 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: West Branch
PostPosted: May 14th, 2017, 2:39 pm 
FFIMer

I am heading up to the West Branch in mid June after about a 5 year hiatus. The last time I was there it seemed like the landlocks were small but brookies seemed plentiful. I remember the days when we would routinely catch many 16+ fish but the last few years fishing was not that good. We always catch and release! We are staying up at the old Prays. Can anyone fill me on what it is like there now under new management? It also looks like they either rehabbed the old cabins or built new ones. Also, any feedback on the fishing would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to fishing from the Little Eddy down to the top of the deadwater! It has been way too long. How is the fishing on the Big Eddy these days? thanks for reading and please fill me in. Fly patters for the WB are appreciated. I am sure caddis will be hatching in mid June (yes??). THANKS!!!

Post subject: Re: West Branch
PostPosted: May 14th, 2017, 6:59 pm 
FFIM Addict

Bill. Some changes since your last visit, Sue Adams left to work for Roxanne's Son over on the east Branch. Her boss, Don Lamson, took over after she left and he's been a great change maker. One new cabin built and Peter's old cabin renovated. The solar system has been upgraded substantially so we get 90%+ of our power from solar now. The old Generator runs only when the solar can't keep the batteries charged. The lawn gets mowed and overall the place is in great shape.

As to the fishing, it is what it is. Brookies are still around and some are a decent size, Salmon have suffered some for lack of smelt but with this recent blast of water that may well improve. Mid-June is always the start of caddis but we don't get the clouds we did years ago. Still there are many good evenings.

The flows hit 17000 a couple of weeks ago but are now back under 2000, too low in my opinion, I'd like to see 3000 but with Brookfield running the powerhouse we seldom see that now.

Don's a good fisherman so he can give you the best update when you get there. I'm moving my trailer on Mem Day as usual and will fish that weekend and then again the beginning of June. With 25 years fishing the head of the Deadwater at that time it's amazing how consistent the Hendricksons can be.

As for flies, caddis dries, pupas, emergers of course, plus BWO's, PT's, might even see some lingering Hendricksons and Sulphers. If we do get some smelt then streamers would be handy.

Hope you have good weather.

Al

Post subject: Re: West Branch
PostPosted: May 14th, 2017, 8:17 pm 
FFIMer

Come on up! Living an hour from Big Eddy, I don't spend the night there a ton, but more often find myself stopping by to visit on late afternoons after work (and just before fishing either the river or ponds north of the river). With that said, I spent the night Friday night and it was wonderful to see a few familiar faces and catch up with Don and Sarah a bit. Even with the flooding and crazy flows, the campground looks great!
Dryflie gave a good run-down in his post above...he's been coming up here a lot of years and knows his stuff (I'd listen to him) :wink:
Hope to see you LionBill and remember your posts on here from years ago!
The ponds seem to be a bit behind this year (as one would expect with almost zero mayflies on my favorite near the WB), but things will shape up nicely that way soon. I have a good feeling about the river itself this year once water levels subside. Always the chance of landing a lunker up here as well....love, love, love the WB!