FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 28th, 2017, 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can't Hook 'Em Up!
PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 8:25 am 
FFIMer

Been fishing West Branch Penobscott, trollng streamers from a boat. I have the streamer trailing approximately 15-20 feet behind the boat using a fast sinking line. I get numerous hits so I know my fly is effective. It appears they hit me once and stop. On several hookups I tend to lose the fish after a short time. I am keeping my line tight and have no problems with failing knots. I just can't get them into the boat. Any suggestions out there? Getting frustrated!

Post subject: Re: Can't Hook 'Em Up!
PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 8:35 am 
FFIM-aholic

I lost the first 5 landlocks i hooked, they are good fighters.... if they are jumping, make sure that you bow your rod, as they are landing so that they don't land on the line and pop the hook.

I am not a troller at all, but if it were happening to me, i would cast into the same area, and actively retrieve the fly, so you have a better touch and can get a solid hookset on it. with some different motion you may be able to entice a more committed strike.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 8:38 am 
FFIMer

I'll try that..thanks!

PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 8:59 am 
FFIMer

I could be wrong in my perspective, but I seem to find that when the water is still extremely cold, I get more 'short strikes' or have them just 'slap' at it, even more foul hooks.

Maybe try a similar style / color in a smaller size or trim the bucktail slightly so they catch the hook.
Also, try different speeds of troll / retrieve (the other day I had to rip my fly through the water as fast as I could to trigger an instinct strike given the very cold water temps).

PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 9:29 am 
FFIMer

water temp is a 41-44...that could be worth a try as well. Thanks.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 9:37 am 
FFIM Addict

Are you using long shank hooks? (I.e. 6X or 8X)?

I've found that Landlocks use the leverage of long shank hooks to throw the fly. Try using trolling streamers with two short shank hooks rather than one long shank fly.

Dave M

PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 10:18 am 
FFIMer

Sharpen your hooks, Set the drag on your fly reel to heavy, but not too heavy, make sure your leader has some backbone and your rod tip is high. Gene Letourneau used to say "if your trolling streamers, just when you think you're going too fast, go a little faster. And the best advice " some days they just like to short strike".

I was getting short strikes fishing a Grey Ghost on the river yesterday. They liked it stripping in extremely fast. The problem is that speed may cause short strikes. If I slowed it down they didn't pay attention. My biggest problem was, the fishing was slow and I got caught numbing it a few times.
Definition- "Numbing It", Gazing off into space, picking my nose, scratching my butt, bird watching, day dreaming, etc.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 10:46 am 
FFIMer

I'm using long shank hooks. I will try a shorter length of which I use later in the season. I always keep the hooks very sharp. As for "Numbing", doing a lot of that the last two days. Thanks for your replies.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 6:58 pm 
FFIMer

Dave M wrote:
Are you using long shank hooks? (I.e. 6X or 8X)?

I've found that Landlocks use the leverage of long shank hooks to throw the fly. Try using trolling streamers with two short shank hooks rather than one long shank fly.

Dave M

I agree with Dave as I've had this problem as well. I've been converting to tube flies in recent years as they can't get leverage on the short shanked hooks. An added benefit is that the fly almost always rides up the leader and away from sharp teeth that tear up flies. Also nice to be able to change out the hooks if they get dinged.

HW

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 2:10 am 
FFIM-aholic

I know that long shanks get a lot of grief, but I can't think of anfish that I have lost on a classic featherwing hook. Now, I mostly ping my barbs, which means that the hook can pivot, which means thebleverage is neutral. But even then, I don't think even a large landlocked is leveraging its way out of a #6 hook. Big stealhead and Atlantic/PAC salmon, sure, but not a 2 lb salmon.

I think your issue is that you are getting short hits and because you're trolling you get no hookset.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 10:04 am 
FFIMer

Humm.. this has me curious. I troll frequently in the early spring and late fall for LLS and have never had this issue. Sure I get the occasional hit without hooking up, maybe has happened 3 or 4 times over 6 years. I bet I haven't lost that many fish once hooked up in the same amount of time. I tie my own tandem streamers, I use #10 heavy wire nymph hooks with very small barbs. Trolling streamers are the only flies I do not pinch the barb. I use a 6 or 8 wt fly rod with a really light weight lead core line on an old Pfluger Medilest. My drag is not set tight... at all, just enough to hold against the resistance of the water. And its lot often I have an issue. I've never trolled a river, are the short strikes and dropped fish coming when you are trolling with the current or against? I wonder if that is making a difference.

Peter

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 10:45 am 
FFIMer

I tend to get most hits while trolling slowly against the current. I'm using a 9 foot 6 wt rod with plenty of backbone. My streamers are long shank size 4 streamer hooks. Thanks for all the feedback.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2017, 9:21 am 
FFIM Addict

I had the good fortune of moving a bunch of trout on streamers from a dory on Friday (as did my buddy). We had a really good day -- started out by finding a pod or risers that wound up being 14 inch rainbows and for once they ate our flies well and didn't seem to spook hard either. Then had a long dry spell with only the occasional fish until we finally got the streamer thing worked out (and some clouds rolled in). Then we were moving fish every cast for a while. We rotate fishers when the count of rigs lost plus fish hooked gets to 3. Rotations started getting pretty quick, both because distance control on my buddy's rod was tough (we lost at least a dozen streamers on 0x) and we were hooking a bunch of fish. But... conversion rate was not great. We really got tight to about 1 out of 3 fish moved and then hooked maybe 1 out of 3 of those and landed maybe 70%. The hardest part is going from tight to the fish to fully hooked up.

I lose a boatload of fish after 1-2 seconds streamer fishing. My theory is that the fish just has their mouth closed on the fly but the hook isn't sunk yet, maybe just the tip in a tough part of jaw. When I remember (and get enough chance in a row) I make an extra strip set once I get tight and I'm fishing 12-15 pound test (0x fluoro) and barbless flies. That seems to help a bunch.

When you say you are losing them -- are you losing them quickly after maybe 1-2 seconds, e.g. you get tight to the fish and pop, or are you losing them after 10 seconds or more?

PostPosted: May 15th, 2017, 2:00 pm 
FFIMer

They are hitting very quickly, one time and don't allow time for me to set the hook. Almost looks like they are just swiping at it to run it out of their territory. I'll figure it out soon. Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.