FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 8th, 2017, 5:31 am 
FFIMer

Been trying my hand at dyeing materials in recent years and have a situation I could use help with. I'm wanting to dye some Finn Coon and Artic Fox to a dun color. Will be tying some Grey Ghosts with it. I normally use Jacquard's or Dharma Trading Co.'s acid dyes, but neither have anything close to dun color. I bought Dharma's Delphinium Blue but am not sure this will give me what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

HW

PostPosted: May 8th, 2017, 12:39 pm 
FFIM Addict

No help on the dyeing front, but check with Waterswest flyshop on line. They may have a Arctic fox tail in the color you're looking for at a reasonable price. They're good to deal with.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2017, 4:06 pm 
FFIMer

Check out Cushing dyes. They are all I use.
http://www.wcushing.com/acid_dye_color_card.htm

They will provide you with the weight formulas for 4 intensities of each color shown on the color chart. So, that means 375 formulas!!!

Don't be afraid of the word "acid", either. They recommend white vinager.

And, it's a Maine company!!!!

PostPosted: May 8th, 2017, 4:53 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:
No help on the dyeing front, but check with Waterswest flyshop on line. They may have a Arctic fox tail in the color you're looking for at a reasonable price. They're good to deal with.

Thanks Hunter, I'll look at Waterswest. But I'll still need to solve the dyeing thing as I can't find Finn Coon in dun. Finn Coon is used predominantly for steelhead and salmon patterns - comes mostly black, white and bright colors. I'm working on a tube fly version of the Grey Ghost for landlocks. I've already experimented with feather wing versions, but given it's consistency, I think that the Finn Coon will work better. I also tried using marabou, but as the coon fur has the same pulsating action and is much more durable, I'd really like to try that. Arctic fox would also work, but the white Finn Coon I have is much longer hair. The fly I'm looking to tie is very large, and I'm trying to stick with the same profile of the featherwing version. The arctic fox tail fur I have is a little too short. I'll get it eventually.

HW

PostPosted: May 8th, 2017, 9:34 pm 
FFIM Addict

Headwaters,

The Artic fox half tails that I've bought from Waterswest all have longer hair than the little rings of Arctic fox I've seen available locally. I tied a batch of Arctic fox-winged Supervisors a while back that I've been meaning to try (if I can ever get my tying room organized post move into my house).

Good luck with your dyeing efforts. I'll get around to trying such myself some day.