FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 4th, 2017, 9:44 pm 

Yes folks, it's that time again! Please consider joining or forming a cleanup crew - I'll make it as easy as I can by developing a plan for anyone who is interested, including areas that need picking up and fishing suggestions as well. Please remember that only a minimal amount of time and effort is required to make a difference - 1 or 2 people in 3 - 5 hours can really spruce an area up...
I know we all pick up some trash every time we go out into the woods, but that really doesn't count...and waiting for a person or one more person or some people to step up first doesn't work either...anyway, please give it a thought and chime in if/when you're ready to make a commitment to the resources that bring us so much pleasure - Thank you and tight lines!

More to come soon...

PostPosted: May 6th, 2017, 8:03 am 
FFIMer

Right On Brian..
Unfortunately spring clean up on my favorite stretch of river has become a daily clean up... :evil:

Attachments:
PB050069.JPG
PB050069.JPG [ 147.72 KiB | Viewed 756 times ]

PostPosted: May 7th, 2017, 8:02 pm 

I know what you mean, K-Fly - I collected this trash just moving between spots yesterday...

Attachments:
trash.JPG
trash.JPG [ 81.84 KiB | Viewed 709 times ]

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 2:20 pm 
FFIMer

I always love doing this but have been too busy the past couple years to meet up with anyone. I'll do a solo clean on a river I hit up frequently again this year sometime in the next few weeks.

Peter

PostPosted: May 14th, 2017, 9:59 pm 

Thank you Peter - please take some pics if you can - prizes will be given for the most garbage collected and the most interesting piece of trash found.

Well folks there's plenty of time for more folks to get involved - I have location and fishing suggestions for anyone interested in joining us - there are some particularly needy spots in southern, central and Downast Maine...

Here is the plan for the West Branch Penobscot Crew:
For a change of pace our crew will be doing things a little differently - we will meet at the intersection of the Golden & Telos Rds at 430 am on Saturday and will spend the first few hours of the day picking up 2-4 miles of roadside directly adjacent to the West Branch then we will bolt up to the uppermost reaches of the Penobscot watershed to fish some new water - anyone who is interested in joining us can respond here - I'll post the boiler plate verbage tomorrow - Thanx & Tight Lines!

PostPosted: May 16th, 2017, 8:59 am 

Here we go - you can read all this or just go out & pick up some trash...Thanks and Happy Trails!

General Procedure:
Crew Leaders basically step up and nominate themselves when a target area is identified. The main responsibility of the leader is to coordinate communications between the team members. Details to be decided by each team include the specific stretch of stream to be cleaned up, meeting time and place, the order of events, i.e. picking up, grilling, fishing, how and where to dispose of trash, whether or not to have a rain date, what if any, the rain date should be and who will be bringing the pickup, trailers and grills.
For the sake of posterity and publicity, I would encourage all participants to take as many pictures of fellow participants and piles of collected trash, as possible. Just like with the Conclave, it would be fun to look back in a few years, at the humble beginnings of this event. Some impressive trash pictures would also go a long way to recruit personnel and other support in the future.
Safety is priority one – nothing will screw up a worthwhile event faster than an accident – be mindful of the safety of yourself and others at all times. If there are any children along, be extra mindful of their actions and whereabouts at all times. When BBQing please take all the standard precautions with the hot stuff. Be sure not to over exert yourself and stay well hydrated. If you decide to enjoy hard beverages with your BBQ, please keep it safe and legal. Please do not collect any more trash than you can safely and legally transport and dispose of. In the unlikely event that you should encounter any hazardous, toxic or suspicious substances, stay away from them and call the DEP.
Like I mentioned before, this event should be not only productive, but fun. Keep your plans simple and go out with the intention of meeting new friends, sharing some good food and drink and doing a deserving stream a favor.

Here is a list of things one should consider bringing:
Kids
Hat
Gloves
Safety Vest
Sunglasses/eye protection
Sun screen
Bug dope
Plenty of water
5 – 10 heavy duty garbage bags
Portable BBQ grill and/or something to throw on a grill
Pick up truck or trailer to haul garbage
Camera
Cell phone
Last but not least, fishing gear!

Some Random Thoughts About Picking Up Trash
Like I have mentioned before, the beauty of an event such as ours, is that it requires no special training or equipment, serious planning, permits, applications, approvals, memberships, fees, studies, reservations, or E.I.S.s and the benefits are instant, visible and positive, no matter how many people get involved. Speaking of getting people involved, I believe that it is crucial to get kids involved with this kind of activity, if not this actual event. Although picking up trash has all of the above advantages, the downside is that it can have relatively short lived benefits, unless something is learned by it or an attitude is changed by it. Having children along gives us the opportunity to pass along and spread a culture of good environmental stewardship and thoughtfulness. I believe a bit of learning goes on as well, when would be litter bugs and the public at large sees groups of concerned citizens out doing this kind of service. Furthermore, I believe that people may be less inclined to litter along a completely litter free stream, again, giving our effort a sort of educational /habit changing effect.
One way of leveraging the benefits of picking up trash is recycling the trash. I’ve noticed that about a third to a half of common stream side trash is recyclable material, and about 75% of oceanside trash is recyclable. This requires a bit more work, but I feel that it is worth the effort. Typically, it is difficult to keep trash sorted while it is being collected, so resorting at the end of the clean up seems to be the most efficient way of handling recyclables. The most commonly found recyclables are usually glass, plastic and aluminum beverage containers, various paper and cardboard products (especially around suburban and roadside fishing spots) ferrous metals (like along the Penobscot River in Orono and the dump pool on the Roach) non-ferrous metals (like aluminum boat, dock and building materials) and tires. Another way to further leverage our efforts is to take the proceeds from any cash recyclables and donate them to a worthy conservation cause or even use them to buy Outdoor Heritage Lottery tickets! I realize that such a small amount of cash toward the cause could be seen as insignificant, but I believe that along with the symbolic and “kharma” value, it amounts to something worthwhile. Cash recyclables such as beverage containers are the obvious money raisers along with bulk aluminum and copper wire. While steel prices are sky rocketing, prices paid for scrap iron are still painfully low. When I haul rusty, old machinery to the scrap yard, I am consoled by the fact that those are a few pounds of iron that won’t need to be mined, transported, refined and transported again, sort of.
Regardless of how folks out there feel about picking up trash, I hope a few of those reading this will come out and meet a few fellow outdoors people, have some fun and do some spring cleaning – I’m looking forward to the event and making some new friends – Tight Lines!

PostPosted: May 21st, 2017, 9:14 pm 

Well, we had a light turnout, just me, but that's OK - 4 miles of roadside got picked up - the amount being retrieved is going down, but a good amount of new garbage is deposited every year - I filled up 4 large bags plus 3 tires and a few other large items - I'd say that 75% of what was picked up was recyclable - I collected 136 beverage containers - 47 of them were Busch products and a huge percentage of them were Bud Light - we could stop a lot of this very easily - if I were president I'd sign an executive order making the deposit on every drink container sold in this country $.20 and include a surcharge on every food item sold in a disposable container and then put some Americans to work cleaning it all up...that's the type of stuff that goes thru my head while I'm picking that stuff up...Anyway, it would be nice to get a few more folks out next year...

After the cleanup I headed up into the Penobscot headwaters - I fished 2 beautiful brooks and a larger stream that all made my mouth water, but it wasn't until my last stop that I got any action at all, and that was just a few hits and a dink brookie to hand - I gotta believe I was just a tad early for these spots - saw a shockingly small amount of wildlife, including just one deer and no moose - there was a good number of folks up in the woods - seemed to be more than the last couple of years at this time...next weekend will be epic - Tight Lines!

Attachments:
trash.JPG
trash.JPG [ 107.72 KiB | Viewed 532 times ]
brook.JPG
brook.JPG [ 146 KiB | Viewed 532 times ]
stream.JPG
stream.JPG [ 117.77 KiB | Viewed 532 times ]

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2017, 11:23 am 
FFIM Addict

Brian, thank you once again for the efforts you make each and every year. Also, agree with your assessment of roadside trash, 90% is beer and butt related. Bud Light is No 1 choice of litterers.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2017, 4:48 am 
FFIM-aholic

Thanks Brian, too bad nobody went with you. I will try to make it next year. Was always a good time when I would go.