FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 24th, 2017, 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing it up
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2017, 10:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

This evening I wanted to get some fishing time in. Hendricksons and Blue Quills have been beginning to come on strong. Unfortunately the wind and cooler temps had the bugs either already gone off much earlier. Or saving their energy and staying as nymphs so as not to fight the wind. No bugs so with the wind and thoughts of a birds nest with multiple nymphs. I decided on rigging for streamers. With the wind I down sized one more line weight than what I normally use on the rod I chose. An 8' 41/8 oz Battenkill rated by Orvis as a 6wt. I primarily fish it with a 5DT Terenzio line. Tonight I sped the action up by going with a 4DT Terenzio. Had a great time shooting featherwings, floating smelts, cone heads and rolled-wing muddlers. I broke one off on a featherwing, had some hits on the featherwing before breaking it off, hits on the cone head, smelt and landed a couple browns on the rolled-wing muddler.

A week ago Sunday couldn't locate any fiddleheads. Not even leaves being pushed up. This past Sunday the patch I harvest a meal or two from were all knee high. Water levels are great right now, but the forcast is for close to 2" which will slow things down.
May give me a chance to make some big strides on the rod I broke. Have the ferrule cleaned out. About 4 evenings working with a pin vise and small drill bit for a pilot hole. Followed by small bits in a Dremel tool, then picking the the remains out with a bodkin and a pair of tweezers. Next turn a new ferrule station, glue the ferrule. Then new wraps and varnish.

Good luck out there

Ron

Sir John Buchan

Post subject: Re: Changing it up
PostPosted: May 4th, 2017, 9:48 pm 

Sounds like some good action, Ron - good luck with your rod too...and hopefully, those storms piss themselves out before they get up here...Tight Lines!