FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 28th, 2017, 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transporting fly rods
PostPosted: April 27th, 2017, 8:31 am 
FFIMer

I have a chance to go to Labrador for some Brookies. I haven't traveled with rods and reels since 9/11. I'm taking Air Canada and I'm wondering if I should ship the rods and reels ahead of time. My 5wt rods are 2pc and putting them all in a travel tube has me concerned. Not sure if taking the reels with my carry on would fly. I'm going to try and get a person from Air Canada on the phone to get answers, but sometimes whats told over the phone isn't the same at the gate. I wondered if anyone has personal experience with this on Air Canada.
Any info is appreciated thanks

PostPosted: April 27th, 2017, 9:08 am 
FFIM Addict

Bill.....

I haven't traveled on Air Canada since 9/11.

I will tell you, however, that most airlines have loosened up considerably in the last decade. You now see more long rod tubes than you did right after 9/11.

You SHOULD be fine, but.......

Dave M

PostPosted: April 27th, 2017, 9:43 am 
FFIM Addict

I've carried long rods on planes and had but one bad experience. And that experience had everything to do with the rod tube material and nothing to do with length. Flying out of Boston years ago my metal tube was refused while PVC would have been just fine. With the plane about to leave I had no time to check the rod (a $1000 bamboo) so pulled it from the tube and boarded with it naked. I bought a replacement PVC tube in West Yellowstone and flew home with no issues. I'd make sure I had PVC to avoid problems.

Every Airline has it's own rules so your plan to talk to them makes sense. If possible get something in writing in case the gate attendant has different ideas.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2017, 10:52 am 
FFIMer

I have had many trips with rods and no issue with airlines. I do use the cabella tubes (fabric covered card board) but have never been refused. One time on a small plane where the tubes were too long to fit overhead the flight attendant put them in the "crutch holder" closet up front.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2017, 1:59 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Put your reels in your checked bag. Apparently fly line is a strangulation hazard and I had to strip and throw mine out in from of TSa.

I believe, the TSa website, says that fishing rod tubes are allowed.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: April 27th, 2017, 2:01 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Ps- once you find it on the TSa website, print the page and bring it with you. You can't prevent the idiot factor.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: April 27th, 2017, 10:53 pm 
FFIMer

I haven't had any issue flying with both a short composite tube and a long fabric/PVC tube.

Sam