FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 24th, 2017, 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 9:41 pm 
FFIMer

A while ago I asked about fishing in the Marco Island area and some people had some great advice. Thanks all. I booked a day with Dan LeGere on Tuesday the 18th which happened to be his last day of guiding down there for the year, and it was worth every nickel. I will post a photo here when I get it from Dan, and get it into a postable format. so a quick rundown

Dan is everything you would want in a flyfishing guide and more. I have stopped into his flyshop in the past but have always been a DIY guy.

We went into the ten thousand Islands area on the outside of Marco Island and it was a blast, tough conditions, but still a load of fun. The sun never showed all day so it made the sight fishing tough, the problem was further complicated by huge schools of mullet muddying the bays to feed on algae( their natural role anyway). But still caught a couple of jacks, landed a snook and fought and lost a couple of others. hooked a big red for a brief second and had a shot at another that spooked. Throw in a few ladyfish and some snappers, and those were the ones brought to hand or hooked up. Had plenty of misses and short strikes as well.

At one point Dan quietly poled the boat into a bay and we were looking for fish hiding on the edge of the mangroves ( it was low tide) didnt see anything in front of us , at the last second dan turned and looked into a nook behind us and two big ones were watching us, they burst out across the skinny water and disappeared, two big snook both over 30 inches long. The amount of cover for them to hide in among the mangroves is simply amazing. on higher tide in the morning we could here them blowing up bait back among the mangrove trees, never even saw the ripples

Did see what was either a large Tarpon or several large Jacks pin a school of bait against a point for a minute. several casts to no avail, but the amount of water displaced in that brief feeding frenzy was downright staggering. The wake that fish or school of fish made was a little intimidating. foot long fish leaping for their lives everywhere.

The biological productivity is also incredible. I snagged a clump of oysters with a sinking line about soft ball sized. when I brought it into the boat small black crabs about the size of a quarter started dropping out of it left and right. pretty interesting. Great day in the boat overall and saw some incredible country and had a great experience.

I also haunted the beaches early in the morning and again later in the evenings ,mostly due to kiddos wanting to wrestle with me in the pool all day, but also because the number of beach goers was diminished as well. at times I waded out and cast back to shore to make sure I didnt catch any one with a back cast.

Had some shots at snook on the beach, which are a totally different critter than a snook back in the mangroves. the clear water makes them awful tough. They were not explosive ambush feeders instead they looked over my flies and just moved on. I hooked a couple of ladyfish in the surf and some small jacks. I also tried to catch some sheepshead drum on little shrimp flies. they would almost stand on their head rooting critters ( probably sand fleas) from the bottom. no luck, but all the shots you could want.

Saw a five foot shark cruise the beach one morning. I paralleled him at a trot and hurried to tie on a big gaudy fly, then thought better of it because I was heading to the Naples zoo shortly thereafter, and figured the shark would have been just as likely to shove the nine weight rod up my nose as I was to land him.

A person could spend a life time fishing down there just in that area. So many islands and sand bars to kayak to and fish within a short paddle form shore as well. Simply overwhelming and I never even got out on the Tamiami trail for snook and baby tarpon, that will have to happen another time.

I;
'll try to post a pic of the bigger jack soon. in the meantime i'll put the shorts and flip flops away and break out the neoprene and sweaters again.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2017, 10:57 am 
FFIM Addict

Great report! You certainly had a shot at a wide variety and for just a single day you did awfully well. Too bad on the Reds however, they are a tough fighting fish but love live shrimp.