FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 28th, 2017, 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water Temps.......
PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 11:32 am 
FFIM Addict

All....

As yesterday was supposed to be the nicest day of the year (so far)...I couldn't stand just staying inside and tying flies any longer.

Got the "stuff" in the Jeep and headed out. Where isn't important.

When I got to my intended destination....with, incredibly, all the "stuff" I was supposed to have to fish, I headed in.

In the early Spring.......and late Fall.....my most important piece of equipment, surprisingly, isn't my Rod, Reel, Waders, etc.........it;s my thermometer. And yesterday it gave me some very bad news. There was still a lot more snow there than I thought there might be.....hence.....32* melt water was going downhill into the stream. I figured the water temps might (key word, there) have gotten up into the low 40;s...still much too low, in my experience, but marginal. Nope....37*. I frowned when I read the temp. Oh well....I'm here I figured....might as well go deep, low, and slow...to see if I might dredge one up. No dice. Nice to get out after a long winter. Casting was good.....no leaks in the now 6 year old Simms...no other flyfishers in my spots. That right there tells me how the fishing in that area is. When it's good, there are guys/Gals there.

In my (admittedly non-scientific) experience over almost 60 years of flyfishing, I do almost no catching when the water temps in the Spring are under 47 degrees.....with 50 being a helluva lot better.

Surprisingly (or maybe not)........in the Fall as long as the hatches are holding out I do fairly well all the way down to 42*. My catching seems to shut off like a faucet at the 42* mark. Perhaps the difference between Spring temps and Fall temps is that there are virtually no bugs out (excepting Midges and (maybe) a few early Brown Stones fluttering about) and in the Fall there are (again---usually) the Tiny BWO's coming off.

I know plenty of LL's are caught on April 1st up in the Dam Pool at GLS.....and I'm sure the water temps are WAY under 47/48* then....so that may blow my water temp theory all to hell.........but I prefer to thing of that scenario as an abberation. In my experience the water temps (Spring) have to hit that magical 47/48* mark. At least in the spot I was at yesterday it will be I'm guessing at least three weeks before that happens. Well........I guess I'll be tying flies for the next three weeks or a month.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Water Temps.......
PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 12:48 pm 
FFIM-aholic

First week of May for me. Otherwise it's just casting practice!

PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 1:08 pm 
FFIM Addict

I used to fish opening day (Jan 1st) on the Newfound River in NH. Cold, cold, damn cold both the air and the water but we always caught a few fish. Almost always, in my recollection, it took a heavy black stone dragging right on the bottom of the deeper water. Those poor starving fish came in like a frozen boot while we stood there in our frozen boots. Crazy. After 4-5 stupid years, we wised up. Fishing is an ongoing education.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 3:51 pm 
FFIMer

I do know better than to try fishing in April but yesterday was just too nice to stay home. I threw streamers in fast water at an inlet to a lake near Augusta. This is a known brown trout hangout this time of year and I really don't count it as fishing. Its just sort of mindless streamer dangling in fast water. So it took the edge off the desire and now I will be okay for a few more weeks. My excuse for not catching anything is there was a loon diving in the area and he ran the fish off. Now I can get my yard work done without that little niggle in the background to go try it!

PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 6:25 am 
FFIMer

For me it's usually the low 40s before I start to see any real action. Although ealy last March I did really well on holdover browns. I think it was March 5th I landed 6 or 7 fish from 14 to 20 and lost 4 or 5 more. Last year was not the norm however, but I bet the water temp that day was 35° at the best.

I still haven't been out this year... or even looked at my gear.

Peter

PostPosted: April 15th, 2017, 11:02 am 
FFIMer

Very interesting-48 is pretty much the number I've used for the last 10 years of paying attention to this. I spent much of it in Colorado where winter fishing was very common, if it wasn't a good powder day! I've kept notes for the past 35 years and more detailed notes probably since Colorado. I did 136 winter day over years out there. When the temps dropped below 48 fish were going into their lowest gear; In fact when I found it below 47 I would wait to bother to gear up or move down stream a few miles because that 1 degree was significant enough to the catch rate to warrant patience vs. freezing. I never bothered at all if it was much less than 45 degrees the last few years; it was mostly an exercise in thrashing water.