FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 23rd, 2017, 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just curious
PostPosted: April 11th, 2017, 12:01 pm 
FFIMer

How many of you put the time in to find fish on your own vs. scour social media, forums and stocking reports before you get out for the easy fishing?

Post subject: Re: Just curious
PostPosted: April 11th, 2017, 1:05 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I rely on facebook messages from my alleged friends.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2017, 1:50 pm 

titleguy wrote:

And then go elsewhere to avoid them. :lol:

Especially Ken. :lol:

PostPosted: April 11th, 2017, 2:13 pm 
FFIMer

titleguy wrote:

I tell half truths... That information was legitimate however.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2017, 2:35 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I look for Green F350s with big tanks on the back....I also have a very keen sense of smell and can detect the odour of liver from miles away.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2017, 4:56 pm 
FFIMer

I love to explore new off the track waters.. Google Earth and the gazetteer :wink: It is how I start my season off every spring
Over the years I have found dozens of brooks with wild/native trout populations, some I have never fished twice. Some waters yield nothing but chubs or maybe nothing at all. But there are some real jewels all over my area and on many will never see another foot print other than maybe mink ,deer or bear. Nothing better on a early spring day than packing up some grub, Hippers and my 3 weight and heading off to a area that I have scouted the night before on maps. But I would not call it "getting out for the easy fishing" As for face book got no use for it...

On another note.. the drought surely must have impacted my little streams and will take time to recover I'm afraid :(

PostPosted: April 11th, 2017, 6:18 pm 
FFIMer

I see where and what people are fishing and catching on FB and other sites, but it rarely influences where I fish. I have my places where i have put in the tima and have learned, for the most part, when its on. I also talk with friends about places and conditions, but that also doesn't influence where I go that much. I do a little bit of exploring, but not nearly enough as I'd like to.

Peter

PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 2:21 pm 
FFIM Addict

I don't do Facebook. I figure that means I'm now a trendsetter instead of a laggard.

I talk to friends and fish with them and used to do a lot of exploring on my own. At this point, I have more places stashed away for future reference than I do time to fish them. After the flood a few years ago, everything local is up in the air again, so I'm trying to do more exploring.

I tend to value solitude more than catching fish, so a great day is catching some fish and enjoying some nice scenery and good company.

I do read reports online to get an idea about new places to check out and which ones of the popular list might not be my bag. I check water levels and flows online first as well, and I compare those to previous trips to the same area to get an idea of what's going on. But it's all about the ground truth.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 12:50 pm 

I go fishing wherever the voices tell me to...

More specifically, one of the most fun and rewarding aspects of fishing, for me, is to develop my own prospects - nothing is more exciting than staring at the maps all winter, then going to these obscure but sexy looking spots and see how they pan out - do they look the way I pictured them? do they hold fish? did I catch any? That is the essence of fishing for me - quite often I'll ignore my favorite spots, and even more often, other people's spots, to go to places that I've never seen before - I've got more of these spots on this year's "go to" list than I'll ever have a chance to visit, but that's a most excellent problem to have...Tight Lines!

PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 2:32 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I simply read those "Where to go" type books and posts and go where they tell me. Wish there were more of those books.......

PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 3:22 pm 
FFIMer

Salmosebago wrote:
I simply read those "Where to go" type books and posts and go where they tell me. Wish there were more of those books.......

I'm​ writing one. For the Tenkara crowd.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2017, 1:35 am 
FFIM-aholic

When i was just cutting my teeth, the WWW told me exactly where I was going to spend the next weekend, based on stocking reports and catch reports. Fortunately for everyone, the fish were very safe those years.

That has since changed and has almost become the opposite. Just like people outgrow posting the "grip and grins" on the web, I think they also get more confidence to forge their own path. But it is an evolution with each person at their own pace.

My own history has taught me to be judicious with mass information.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: April 14th, 2017, 8:13 am 
FFIM-aholic

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Salmosebago wrote:

I'm​ writing one. For the Tenkara crowd.

Thank you - I'm on it!

PostPosted: April 16th, 2017, 2:12 pm 
FFIMer

next weekend I hope to fish some brooks that have produced well in past years and gls also tight lines