FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spring Lint
PostPosted: April 9th, 2017, 4:29 pm 
FFIM Addict

Happy Spring!

It seems spring sprang today- the geese flew into the beaver flowage last night, the woodcock has picked around the snow bank’s edges, and fishing has started---a little more about the fishing….

The GLS opener was typical, and as always, the next weekend I remain locked in servitude to the one that brung me (to the altar) ...garage sweeping, dump running, boat hauling, shed cleaning, floor vacuuming, and...PACKING! With school vacation (Bless those little bureaucrats hearts!) coming in one week, SHE will head to Florida- which I see as punishment for a crime uncommitted...and I will grab dogs and move into camp for 8 days of male food and beverages.

A short report came today, and the dam pool still seems to have a few-few- fish, and as told to others, it seems the ‘Tub may also...typical. I expect a doldrum between the opener and the ice leaving Big Lake- and the ice is not even spit close to leaving any lake yet----so, I expect the fishing to be ….social.

On a note more in tune with belly-button lint---

I would offer a warm note of suggestion to the younger flock---pick wisely when you choose LIFE workers. Life workers are people that work for or ON you for the length of your life...like, say, dentists. My dentist retired last fall and a STUDENT OF MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Replaced him. My doctor retired on January 1st, and the studly little muffin that replaced him is a moralist little twit who missed his calling to be a weatherman and chose medicine instead---I expect he has about the same batting average on getting his prognosis right. Out electrician is gone, out PLOWMAN (the first and longest) dies, the second quit to move to South Carolina (where, if he remains a plowman, he will starve to death happily)- and the current man who plows our yard must have kids in Harvard and deep debt to pay, as I could pay a kid less hourly to shovel it out with a spoon.

Did I mention the accountant is gone? My Toyota mechanic was a student of mine, and now his daughter is graduating? All the GOOD restaurants are closed, or have become off track betting places...the gas station that used to (honest to G-D) wash my windows is gone-both in spirit and in fact...my frigging bottle return place (and you KNOW I had a deep relationship with a bottle return place) is boobs up.

So….when- as you grow and prosper, heed this one small suggestion. Pick people YOUNGER than you...the FIRST question before any relationship starts should be- their age. And if they are appreciably older than you, tell them “Sorry, I can’t work with you because you will retire soon.”

They will be a little mystified- but, all in all, keeping a doctor in the dark is what we all do anyway.

Go get ‘em.

Hutch

Post subject: Re: Spring Lint
PostPosted: April 9th, 2017, 4:44 pm 
FFIMer

Tell me just where you will find a kid willing to shovel snow. Best line I ever heard on a job site was " You don't have to worry about anyone under thirty stealing hand tools."

PostPosted: April 10th, 2017, 12:30 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I fished up over there yesterday- very chilly in the AM. Saw no fish caught at the dam- not a huge crowd. Went down to the falls, nada. Went back up and had Hatchery all to ourselves. Two nice, fat fish on a little nymph I bought in Prague last spring. Good day.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2017, 1:47 pm 
FFIM-aholic

My dentist lived in my dorm in college. He was 3 years older than me. He woke me up at 5am before his interview at Harvard to tie his neck tie because he didn't know how. Now he drills my teeth. Sometimes it is hard to find the justice.

I suspect he'll retire long before my pearly whites fall out.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau