FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 12:10 pm 
FFIM Addict

Guys/Gals.........

I think it was someone (Al??) on here that turned me on to fused silica as being generic Frog's Fanny. I bought what I thought was a lifetime supply about 10 or a dozen years ago....and have since run out. In the move from Lewiston to Ellsworth I've lost the box....and hence, the name of the company I bought it from. I'm fairly sure it was a New Hampshire company, and the Inter Google seems to be failing me....as I've called one of the two fused silica companies that I found on Google....and "no go". The other hasn't replied to my inquiry.

Do any of you know which company I'm trying to locate.......or have another place where I can get fused silica powder by the pound? Thanks in advance for your trouble. (As this isn't The Drake I won't be pulling off NSFW pics off the Internet for your troubles). :shock: :lol: (No Bruce Lee needed---insert big grin here)

Dave M
PS: Yes...I was a dumbass for losing that cardboard box...I'm well aware of that, too.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 1:24 pm 
FFIMer

Dave
Try Google for Bulk Desiccant packs
Comes up with 161,000 options
I don't know how what you had was packaged but it looks like you can get it in about any form you would want.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 2:54 pm 
FFIMer

What your looking for is called hydrophobic fumed silica dust. DO NOT make the mistake of getting hydrophyllic fumed silica dust! I get mine from James town distributors a boat building supply company. The original intended purpose of this material is, it's used as a varnish, poly and epoxy thickener. If you do a google search for hydrophobic fumed silica dust, you will come up with plenty of buying options, saw a bunch on ebay and amazon recently too.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 2:55 pm 
FFIM-aholic

eBay is loaded with guys who sell it. Though, be careful. I think frogs fanny is so good because it is so fluffy. The stuff I bought (in france) had the same chemical name, but is more crystallized like the stuff in the shake containers. It will work, for the shake containers, but won't be applied by a brush. Stoneriver now has a cheaper version of frogs fanny. So I am sticking with that.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 9:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave,
Have you tried to powder the shake to dry or the ingredients in the dry packs either in a coffee grinder or a blender.
One would want to clean the appliances quite well after use.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 8:08 am 
FFIM Addict

Thanks for the help guys, most appreciated. Almost all of those sellers I found on Google were industrial sellers.....and wanted to sell me a ton (!!!) of the stuff. Almost all the others were selling the Krystal's that are found in those little packets that come with electronics.....not the powder I wanted.

I did find some sold by the quart on Amazon for a very reasonable price. I think a quart will last me a lifetime, but will finitely keep the box so I can find the seller if I need more. Thanks again.

Dave M

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 8:58 am 
FFIMer

Dave, the company I get it from is Progressive Epoxy Polymers in NH. They sell it in small lots and actually cater to fly fishermen. I have never liked using it with a brush, most of it winds up in the river. I mix it with desiccant beads and do the "shake" thing, I think it is just as effective. Another tip is to use a turkey baster to transfer it to your container so it doesn't get in the air....or your lungs!!! If you fish CDC a lot, as i do, it's the only thing (along with an Amadou patch) that will really dry and restore it. See you Sat. Terry

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 10:45 am 
FFIM Addict

Thanks Terry. That's the company I was looking for. Between the two companies I will have three quarts of fused silica dust. This will almost certainly be a lifetime supply. The turkey baster is the best way to transfer the dust to small bottles to carry in the chest pack. Thanks for all the help.

Dave M

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 1:26 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Guys,

The stuff from these guys... is it the fluffy frogs fanny consistency conducive to brushing on? Or more like the shake cans?

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 3:00 pm 
FFIM Addict

TGIF wrote:
Guys,

The stuff from these guys... is it the fluffy frogs fanny consistency conducive to brushing on? Or more like the shake cans?

No Tim......I didn't want those Chrystal's in the shake cans. I like the powder that's exactly like Frog's Fanny.

Dave M

PostPosted: April 8th, 2017, 3:08 am 
FFIM-aholic

AwesOne! Thank you. I will get some this summer. Can't wait to carry a quart of white powder through customs.