FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coq de Leon ?
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 7:26 am 
FFIMer

I see in Terry W's post he use's Coq de Leon for the tail. My question to Terry and others is CdL that much better than dry fly hackle. And if so what color is most useful. I've debated picking some up but wasn't sure if it's really worth it and what color (or colors) to get.
Appreciate any feed back, thanks.

Post subject: Re: Coq de Leon ?
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 7:37 am 
FFIMer

Well most Coq de Leon I see for sale is natural
I really like it for tails and once all the plastic tailing materials I have are gone Coq de Leon will be my default material.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 9:29 am 
FFIMer

Bill, I have some coming for tails, more than I need. I'll send you some.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 10:58 am 
FFIM Addict

I have no idea if I use actual Coq de Leon or not, but I use Whiting tailing packs (light dun and dark dun) and they work beautifully, fwiw. I tried those paintbrush tailing fibers and hated them. I feel they're too stiff, and actually inhibit the trout from getting the fly into their mouth.

Dave M

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 11:05 am 
FFIMer

I use coq de leon primarily for tailing, the fibers are long, stiff and speckled. It comes in different shades, light, medium and dark. I carry it in small packs of about 10 feathers and also in select shoulder patches. CDL is unequalled as a tailing for mayfly patterns, a little pricey, but when you consider you only use 3 or 4 barbs per fly, they last a long time. Beats the hell out of micro fibbets. I hope this helps, Terry

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 11:42 am 
FFIM Addict

Damn...I use micro fibbets....now I guess I have to go shopping for another "need".

Hutch

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 9:05 pm 
FFIMer

CDL is a nice material - quite stiff, thin and comes in varying mottled shades. Its a bit pricey like 20 feathers for $10ish. I would not go out of my way to disregard any other tailing materials you currently have. If you are at a shop check it out and see but its a super stiff version of lemon wood duck/mallard. Its now very popular with the euro nymph comp scene...its in fashion to use now. Good spade feathers or better yet Charlie Collins tailing packs are pretty much the same thing and you may already have it(spade feathers). The ultra fine mottling on CDL is hardly noticable by a fish IMO.
That all being said, I bought some about 10 years ago when I first heard of it...I still have a few feathers left...I like spade feathers just as well or wood duck or PT depending on the application.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2017, 1:15 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I agree. It is really nice for tailing. I have used micro fibrletts, and they work fine, but I do prefer natural materials. For CDL, I find the 10 packs to be a little over priced when you can get a whole whiting American rooster cape for $25. Of course, I have a featherwing streamer fetish so it is a 2 birds with one stone thing.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau