FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 23rd, 2017, 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opener on GLS
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 6:58 am 
FFIM Addict

Just a quick update- yes it was typical.

Parker and I were in the dam pool by 5:45, and found a few (15) of our closet friends there. We had Uphams Corner at the line, and with the gate configuration of today, it was downstream not up...and heavier current was on our side. We did land a few fish, and got the long winter's stink off our minds. Saw LOTS of fish caught, and much sharing of water.

We fished for an hour...went home- had breakfast...came back- fished again- or tried...21 people in the pool-so we tried the lake...went back to camp- had a power nap...and were back in the pool around 3pm. A few less people, and we got into some of the better water.

I brought a cannon rod- big rod for long casts---saw a young man throwing a 7ft 4 wt...wrong tool. I threw a floating smelt (big surprise right?)---and those silly salmon pounded at it- mostly missing. A blast.

Parker put on a brief 20 fish clinic, and we went home. I think most people were pretty happy with the day, and I saw nothing but friendly interactions.

Sunday, colder and slower for us...and we looked to catch one fish each....which took a while- but in the end, that yellow dog would hunt---

Hutch

Spring is here almost....and the question is in the back of our minds----do I have enough Pheasant tails in #16?

Post subject: Re: Opener on GLS
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 1:39 pm 
FFIMer

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/04/03/o ... ke-stream/

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 2:18 pm 
FFIM Addict

Thanks Trees...I spoke to the writer- he introduced himself and mentioned he had read FFIM- which I thought was nice. Real pleasant conversation- though I was deeply embarassed by my knuckleheaded compatriot...who POSED for a centerfold picture in the snow (for?) the BDN photographer. Ugggh.

Even in that crowd, I had a very nice man and woman ASK if they could fish near me---and I think I may have laughed...and said they could fish standing beside me on a day like opening day! We were there is break the drought and enjoy seeing a few fish.

Lots of new people it seems....but there were also many old time GLS fishers.

HUtch

Spring is here almost....and the question is in the back of our minds----do I have enough Pheasant tails in #16?

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 9:00 pm 

Thanks for the report Hutch - I'm sorry I missed you and the gang this year - I can already tell this year will be very different from last year...good, but different - Tight Lines!

PS -what's this about your "closet friends?"

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 6:22 am 
FFIM Addict

I keep them IN the closet....and I proof read that stupid post...

Hutch

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 6:30 am 
FFIMer

For some of them nailing the door shut should be required

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 6:20 pm 
FFIMer

sound like every one had a good time I am hoping to be up there over Easter weekend tight lines