FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 12:30 am 
FFIMer

Thanks, but a little beyond our scope. We do have some logs that need to be dragged out of stream beds this summer though if you are willing to help with that. We also have data loggers to install, Project SHARE, The ongoing fundraising efforts to sponsor a TU Trout Camp attendee, CFR fly tying , and a myriad of other fly fishing related opportunities.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 11:12 am 

Some thoughts--just mine--no official TU policy or endorsement intended or implied.

(1) I don't think there is any reason to forego trout fishing during favorable water/temperature conditions this season, even on the hardest hit streams. The stocked waters--many of which didn't get stocked as usual last fall--will get their annual dose of hatchery product, most of which won't survive the summer no matter what. The wild trout streams will be recovering and fishing them with barbless hooks, C+R, flies or lures, won't have much impact on populations.

(2) That all changes when water temps go above 65, and especially above 70. When that happens, it's time to go bass or striper fishing, or head for higher elevations where water temps are more suitable.

(3) I think we as anglers need to have a discussion about spring hole fishing. I was taught to do it, and I have secret trout pond springholes that pretty much guarantee a trout even in the dog days of August. Same goes for some cold tribs that feed better rivers. I feel less and less comfortable fishing those spots, and didn't do it at all last summer. I posted on Facebook recently: "August springhole fishing for trout = hunting in a deer yard in February--Discuss." I think it may be time to rethink summer closures at some spots. This needs to be done carefully. We don't want to shut down water where the fishing is primarily for bass, put-and-take trout, etc. We don't want to close waters that by virture of high elevation, great shading, tailwater influence, or groundwater inputs, remain cool enough for trout most of the summer. But those places where trout leave warm water and concentrate in numbers on springs or trib mouths--those we need to consider closing, either seasonally, or with some kind of temp. monitoring as Montana does on some of its streams. Another approach is what Connecticut does at the thermal refuge areas on the Housatonic:

HOUSATONIC RIVER

• Thermal refuges: Areas within one
hundred feet of signs indicating such
closure posted by DEEP at or near the
mouths of Kent Falls Brook and Macedonia
Brook are closed to all fishing
from June 15 to September 15.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2017, 7:40 am 
FFIMer

Jeff Reardon wrote:
I think it may be time to rethink summer closures at some spots. This needs to be done carefully. We don't want to shut down water where the fishing is primarily for bass, put-and-take trout, etc. We don't want to close waters that by virture of high elevation, great shading, tailwater influence, or groundwater inputs, remain cool enough for trout most of the summer. But those places where trout leave warm water and concentrate in numbers on springs or trib mouths--those we need to consider closing, either seasonally, or with some kind of temp. monitoring

Would it be relatively easy to implement such measures if controlled locally / regionally? Meaning local biologists could compile a list of traditional spring holes / thermal refuges susceptible to over harvest and stress in their region. Those areas could be then be monitored during the summer and, when appropriate, visibly posted at access points or above and below affected stretches of water with signs as "temporarily closed to fishing". Those closures could be implemented at times deemed appropriate based on each seasons conditions (with factors being water temp, flow, oxygen, etc), with enforcement coordinated with local wardens. Those closures could be shared with the public via the standard web site and email notification system already in place (of course the cynic in me would only give public notice that 'season closures are in place', not by listing specific locations).

Seems reasonable and simple enough, so Im sure it also be easily screwed up. :?