FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 23rd, 2017, 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Refusals
PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 1:22 pm 
FFIM-aholic

While this is one of the most disappointing moments on the water, I find that refusals from fish often are some of the most magical, exciting and downright enlightening moments as well. We only know the ones we can see, which must be just a fraction, and when a trout rises from depths to inspect your offering, looking every bit as if it is intent on eating...that moment when it rolls over, darts off leaving an eddy from it's massive tail, or simply sinks away, is many times more compelling than disappointing, once you get over that slap upside your ego.
We can't improve our game without them; and it's all right there for you to observe. What happened? Was it the wrong pattern? Did it drag at the last instant? Did it see the leader? Or me? And most importantly, will it come up again?
The slow and deliberate refusal by a trout to a dry fly is for me the most mysterious and beautiful. And even if you can answer the why, there is an enigma that will persist in your trout brain for good. It'll always keep us coming back.
Conversely, the power of a large brown or salmon charging down your streamer with trailing wake, and the lightning quickness of it's change in direction upon being spooked, eddies boiling before you as it joins the chase again, then spooks, then comes again, before disappearing, is pure adrenaline. I submit, twice that of an actual hookup. Because of the mystery...how big was it?
I have learned to appreciate, even slightly enjoy, a refusal for the glimpse it gives me into the life of a trout.

Post subject: Re: Refusals
PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 4:54 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I agree on both fronts. I do love fishing streamers, especially the classics, and when you can see the chase and take/refusal, it is great fun. Either as a rooster tail, v-wake, or visible.

That said, refusals on dries give me dream fodder. I still think about a bow, not big, on my local chalk stream thatbwas gorging on something.... and every perfect drift, thatbstarted 15' in front of him, he would come up, slip backward in the current watching it, and then suddenly lose interest.

I finally stuck him on a dropper (olive brassie), but I think I was a little eager on the set (saw his mouth open), and he won the short tussle.

He was maybe 14", but I still want to catch him.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 8:11 pm 
FFIMer

4 reasons for a refusal... IMO.
Bad presentation
Wrong size
Wrong representation
Wrong color

In that order.

Be patient if you want to catch a fish that has refused your fly. Was it your fault with a bad presentation, or did you have the wrong fly?? Either way, before you start casting again to the same fish again, wait a while. Give the fish some time to settle back in, and forget about your mistake.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 8:40 am 
FFIM-aholic

At first I thought this was a thread about my attempts at dating in college, but I digress....

A few years ago, on a fairly popular fall river, I had a monster salmon refuse my streamer a number of times. I would quarter it down stream, he would come out from the dark, deep water next to the bank and chase to my feet - this happened 4 times and my heart damn near came out of my chest each time. I walked down river and ripped the streamer down river, instead of swinging it, and that did the trick - he wanted that fly MOVING! Those 4 refusals were as exciting as the actual catch! The clear water where the Wild dumps into the Andro is also a fun spot for watching a fish kick your @$$ - you can see them coming for 20' - love it!

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 10:37 am 
FFIM-aholic

Good point Salmo...

When fishing streamers, i always fish the same cast twice in a row... and as i am working down a pool, i always cast up adn strip down, cast down and strip up, and them cross current.... sometimes it is just in the way you wag its tail....

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 6:43 pm 
FFIMer

This video which starts out with refusals, is what drives my desire to catch Redfish. I don't know how to paste it in but the link is below. Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/33872683