FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leader formula - Dave M?
PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 10:28 pm 
FFIMer

Looking for a leader formula for a 6' 3wt. 4 1/2- 5' long leader, ideal for roll casting​ and getting in a couple short false casts.I've experimented over the years, but can't seem to get the "just right" butt section diameter and length. Think 6'-10' wide Brook fishing with heavy overhanging growth, and areas to make upstream and downstream casts into pools. Throwing #10-#12 buggers to #18 BHPT's.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 7:23 am 
FFIM Addict

Yikes! That's a SHORT leader.

For my three weights I start with a butt of .017.........but with a leader that short I might even start with .013.ive never built a leader that short, but try 16" of .013, and 12" of Ox, a foot of 2x, 12" of 3X, and 18" to 24" of 5X?

That's just a guesstimate, please don't hold me to it. The shortest leader I ever use is, oath than sinking lines, obviously........about 8 feet.......and that's only to throw Bass Bugs.

Dave M

PS. For the four and a half footer I'd shorten the 12" sections down to 6 to 8 inches and work or tweak it from there.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 8:37 am 
FFIMer

Thanks Dave, I'll tie a couple and let you know.The length may be a little unorthodox, but I guess you could could say it's custom built for the conditions. I'm thinking of places where there is barely enough room for the rod tip to clear the bushes and branches.I've tried mid sections of leaders, 3-4-5x, butt sections to tippet rings etc with varying degrees of success but none of them were quite right. Anything longer ends up wrapped in the alders or the tippet section is unmanageable due to lack of room to control the leader. The one thought that sticks with me is the amount of blood knots so close together and sink rate especially for unweighted soft hackles in a really short drift.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 1:16 pm 
FFIM Addict

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
The one thought that sticks with me is the amount of blood knots so close together and sink rate especially for unweighted soft hackles in a really short drift.

Look at you. Branching out from the usual right angled nymph rigs and fishing soft hackles. Heck- we might even make you into a dry fly fisherman one of these days. :lol:

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 3:40 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:
RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
The one thought that sticks with me is the amount of blood knots so close together and sink rate especially for unweighted soft hackles in a really short drift.

Look at you. Branching out from the usual right angled nymph rigs and fishing soft hackles. Heck- we might even make you into a dry fly fisherman one of these days. :lol:

Only for a two or three week window. The last week has been spent tying perdigon nymphs. Don't count on any conversion anytime soon....

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 11:11 am 
FFIMer

For a leader that short I'd try fewer steps (fewer knots).
Maybe 20"of.018-24"of 0x-16"of4x or 5x tippet.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 3:51 pm 
FFIMer

I tried furled leaders for the 1st time 2 years ago and love them for there designed uses ..so for this year I order from Cutthroat leader the shorty version ..its 50" furled leader with a tippet ring especially designed for short lightweight glass and bamboo rods in tight spaces ..and I have two a 6'6" streamlight in 3wt and a 5'9" cabalas glass rod in 3wt ,we will see how they perform this coming season.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 4:47 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Let me know how the perdigons work for you. They are hot over here. I have played with a few on #18!jig hooks, which result in a # nymph when inverted. I haven't had amazing success with them, but others do.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 6:26 pm 
FFIMer

Tim, I think it's the application. I will publicly admit I fish euro nymphing almost exclusively. Getting the quick depth with the perdigons in select,tight,runs might be the ticket where some #8 Czech Nymphs are too much. If the ice ever leaves the rivers I'll let you know.